Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Problem with LED headlights in sport lights

2199 22
I purchased these bulbs here Igniters - LED Headlight Conversion Kit | PlasmaGlow. They were supposed to be good according to everything I read. But I'm having a problem with them, I think it's just with the way the truck's wired. Only half the light comes on and both should be working since it's only the low beam side. The person at the company said that it wasn't the right bulb because it the 9007 bulb was for high and low beams. Any body else used these in the sport lights and had the same issue?
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
I may not be much help, but I am looking to swap to LED my self.

have you tried to install on the high beam wiring, and turn on the high beam circuit ?
does it then light both sides ?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I may not be much help, but I am looking to swap to LED my self.

have you tried to install on the high beam wiring, and turn on the high beam circuit ?
does it then light both sides ?
Are you saying to try and put the bulbs in high beam side? If so, I haven't tried that.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know there are some good electricians on here. But can someone verify that 9007 is the correct bulb.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
A sport uses both
9004 for the highs
9007 for the low

And yes...try swapping the location or just the wiring.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A sport uses both
9004 for the highs
9007 for the low

And yes...try swapping the location or just the wiring.
That's what I thought but the person at the company said it was just supposed to be the 9004, only one bulb in the headlight. They also said because the 9007 was a dual filament bulb it could be messing with the bulb controller box.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Just to clarify, the 9004 is dual filament also.. The ground for the 9007 is in a different place and can do some funny things if not wired for them but if you have a sport model, the 9007/9004 combination is correct.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just to clarify, the 9004 is dual filament also.. The ground for the 9007 is in a different place and can do some funny things if not wired for them but if you have a sport model, the 9007/9004 combination is correct.
They said that if the high and low beams were separate bulbs that the bulbs should not be both dual filament. But that's a good point because it doesn't make much sense

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I put high beam wire on low side and low beam wire on high side and it caused both lights to stay on. Even on high and low beams. Anybody got anything else?

·
Registered
26 Posts
You may have to rewire your headlights. 2nd gen Dodges work on a ground switching system. With the headlights on their is always +12v power their and they just provide a ground with the headlight switch for which filament would be on. Whether it be high or low. I enclosed a pinout for the headlights. Any other questions don't hesitate to ask.

Reactions: KYcummins5.9

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for that. It ended up being something wrong with the ballast box. They replaced the box and they are working good. Pretty good brightness, I just need to get rid of my faded lenses.

·
Registered
14,323 Posts
Use a headlight polishing kit and some plastic polish instead or replacing your headlights.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Do the kits work? And lense seal is coming apart. Could I fix that some how or would I be better off buying new ones?

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
One side being illuminated is normal. Dual filament so if you notice when you turn the brights on the other side of the bulb comes on. Nothing's wrong with your bulbs/setup.

·
custom user title
2,066 Posts
pics of light output at night please?

I would love to ditch my HIDS for LEDS, due to the chinese quality on seemingly every HID kit

·
PA VICE PRESIDENT
6,438 Posts
Yeah def wanna see the light output

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.