Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i was driving home yesterday going over the pass and it got pretty slick and snowy, so i thought i would use 4wd and i couldnt get it to engage... no lights or anything... i can go from 2hi into neutral but no 4hi or 4lo... i dont know what the transfer case i have but is there anything that i might of over looked... thanks....

· Registered
246 Posts
FWIW if you have the electronically controlled transfer case (switch on dash) you have an NV273 case.

The best way to test it that I know of is to find someone with a good scanner and gen into the trasnfer case module and see what it is doing when you move the switch to 4WD. See if there is any codes or if it says selector switch error or something like that.

Sorry thats all I got.

· Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no mine isnt the electronic one... i gotta shift it to 4wd... believe its a nv271 it think... thanks though...

· Registered
246 Posts
Alright than, yes you are correct. Floor shift is a 271. How does the shifter feel? Does it feel like there is any resistance at all to it when it goes into 4H and 4L ? Does it drive at all in 4L or does it seem like it is in neutral? How about 4H.

· Registered
4,642 Posts
you should not stop in N but go str8 from 2wd to 4hi

· Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i can only get it into N and 2wd... i cant move the shifter to 4hi or 4lo... the shifter just stops and wont move.... like something is blocking it from going into gear... i never opened this kind of Tcase so didnt wanna take it out if i didnt have to... but looking like i need to...

· Registered
246 Posts
depending on your climate + driving conditions it is very easy for mud/dirt/crap to get in the way of the cable linkage on the tcase.

When i first got my truck it wouldn't shift into 4h or 4L, so i put the shifter back into 2H and just rammed it forward into 4H with quite a bit of pressure and it went right in. After i hit 4H, 4L was no trouble. After initially going into 4, it seemed to move around much better.

Now when I say force it, im not saying put your back against your seat and use your feet against the shifter to force it. Just use your arm and give it a good jam in.

This is of course after going underneath and making sure that nothing is jamming the linkage operation.

Let us know.

· Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ya tried that nothing and i did put some force on it... I used it maybe 3 months ago and it worked just fine... can any one shed some light on how hard these are to rebuild...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.