Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This the third time this has happend to me, I think my fuel is gelling again. It only happens when it is real cold, 18 deg today. But I put a fuel treatment in my tank, its like its not getting enough fuel. When I drive around town it is fine but when Im on the highway and I put the peddle down alittle more it bogs down and loses power. It only does it when it is cold, what is going on? Is my lift pump trying to tell me something?

· Registered
147 Posts
What is your Rail pressure gauge and fuel pressure gauge tell you? Most of the time that will give you a good clue what is going on...
When was the last time you changed your fuel filter?
Normally if its a lift pump you will have a hard or no start problem.
The drain that is on the side of the fuel filter housing. Put a drain bucket under the drain hose. Turn knob onto the open position and turn key on and bump (don't start)
so the Lift pump will turn on for 20 seconds. See what kind of Fuel if any is coming out.. None or a little bit comes out Change fuel filter. Do that again see if its better. If not check your fuel pressure. See what your lift pump is doing. If that is good then check your rail pressure..

Reactions: 04 Diesel

· Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is your Rail pressure gauge and fuel pressure gauge tell you? Most of the time that will give you a good clue what is going on...
The drain that is on the side of the fuel filter housing. Put a drain bucket under the drain hose. Turn knob onto the open position and turn key on and bump (don't start)
so the Lift pump will turn on for 20 seconds. See what kind of Fuel if any is coming out.. None or a little bit comes out Change fuel filter. Do that again see if its better. If not check your fuel pressure. See what your lift pump is doing. If that is good then check your rail pressure..
Thanks, I will change fuel filter today and see what happens.

· Registered
574 Posts
have u checked your fuel filter???

· Registered
147 Posts
oh ok south end of the state.
How's your truck running now? If it was the filter you should change that often I'm not sure of the time period their is a schedule that most follow. I change fuel filter every oil change. But I do it because I'm under the hood. I do change my filter more then needed

· Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
oh ok south end of the state.
How's your truck running now? If it was the filter you should change that often I'm not sure of the time period their is a schedule that most follow. I change fuel filter every oil change. But I do it because I'm under the hood. I do change my filter more then needed
I change mine every 10,000 miles, I guess I will go less now.

· Registered
147 Posts
It was pretty black.
yepp did you poor anything into the tank 2 cycle oil... Do you also you any kind of diesel fuel conditioner with the fact that we all have to use ULSD

· Registered
574 Posts
the fuel additive probably cleaned the tank and lines and caused the filter to clog, when i started running wvo, i had to change my filter about 4-5000 miles untill the tank and lines were clean(about 3 times), now at 10,000 when i change my oil...

· Registered
147 Posts
the fuel additive probably cleaned the tank and lines and caused the filter to clog, when i started running wvo, i had to change my filter about 4-5000 miles untill the tank and lines were clean(about 3 times), now at 10,000 when i change my oil...
Agree or got some Bio fuel. When i was on my way to TX I stopped off at Willy's place added some I made it to Austin had to pull into a Jiffy Lube and change the fuel filter It was new when I left Chicago. FP/RP was low. That took care of it

· Registered
214 Posts
Good job on diagnosing probl there BigRed! i just learned something new...:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.