Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2002 Ram 3500 5.9 Diesel. 135000 miles
Thanks in advance to all that put there time into this.
I am a rookie when it comes to working on diesels. So I got the infamous death code about 2 weeks ago. Ordered new stock replacement VP44, 60hp injectors,FASS 150, Edge juice with Attitude, new cam sensor, put new tappet gasket, rebuilt the vacuum pump, new power steering & hoses. That's all good up to now.
Every new component has the proper power going to it. Bleed the fuel line that goes to the VP. Got diesel to the VP. Cracked open 1,3,4 fuel lines to bleed. Cranked several times air coming out like its supposed to. Fuel pressure is 16-18 when pump kicks on. The key on the VP is lined up where it's supposed to be.
PROBLEM: Truck wont start now, it will crank but won't start. I have 12.25 volts at both batteries when NOT cranking. When cranking its 11.7-11.8.
Maybe the batteries? What else am I missing?
Thanks for any advice.
2cents is worth a lot to me rite now:homer2:

·
Registered
170 Posts
man it seems uve done alot all at once! double and triple check all your connections. hope u find the problem! farout!

·
Premium Member
4,755 Posts
When doing all of that, try cracking the return banjo on the VP44 & bump the starter. It purges all air internally of the VP44. Then do the 134 again. Also, check & RECHECK how the VP44 electrical plug is. The slidelock has to be all the way out,then line up the plug & push on it while working the slidelock in ALL THE WAY. Now, in all of this work you have done, you may have shorted something out & have a blown fuse. If it's below 50* out, your Wait To Start light should come on.

Ed

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your reply's. I Was able to do the work over a week. Pretty much a component a day. Down here in the Sunshine state so below 50 is outta the picture. Lol. Yes that slide lock is a little tricky, I even checked the #7 pin it has 12volts. I will try that banjo fitting again. I did bleed it, but maybe it wasn't enough. What should the battery voltage be when cranking?

·
Premium Member
4,755 Posts
Bleed the return banjo to purge all air fron the VP44 (I believe the front one) & then do the injectors. While doing all of this, I would suggest doing a good charge on the batteries to get the engine speed up, but yours seem good. If all else fails, go to www.bluechip.com for the VP test procedure to get it to at least start & idle by jumping 12 volts.

Ed

Reactions: Pops2002

·
Registered
7,016 Posts
How long have you cranked? I've replaced probably 20 VP's and there was a few that required 5 lines cracked. I just crack all 5 lines and crank the truck. When fuel starts to come out, tighten them while the truck is still cranking.

·
Rescue Tower
10,811 Posts
The key on the VP is lined up where it's supposed to be.
Is it the key that came with the new pump? Don't swap the keys between the old and new pump.

The key on the VP is lined up where it's supposed to be.
PROBLEM: Truck wont start now, it will crank but won't start. I have 12.25 volts at both batteries when NOT cranking. When cranking its 11.7-11.8.
I would expect the voltage to drop during cranking. As long as the crank speed is good and injection is occurring at the right time it should fire.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Headcase: I will try cracking the 5 lines. Hopefully that will do it. I Keep you guys posted Thanks for the input.
Shainer: Yes I did not swap the key. I almost did do that. I called the place where I got it from to verify that I didn't have to. That was a close one.
Gettin ready to work on her now

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Report back, I did twins, a VP, and injectors and startup isn't far away. Good luck my friend!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well... Tried cracking all the lines I could, still won't start. It will crank over but not start.
Then got the code 1689 from the EDGE and the odometer. EDGE says CAN BUS failure.
Bluechipdiesel says to jump the harness from the VP to 12 volt and ground it. Not sure if I should try that. I think I'm gonna take everything apart and start over.
What is it about January?

·
Registered
7,016 Posts
You may want to just try swapping the cam sensor to your old one. It can be done with everything in place.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That was fun, put the old cam sensor back in.... No luck.
Now when I'm cranking it after the second time or so it won't crank over it will just click.
Everything else is good, I.E. fuel pressure, voltage, starter.
Has anyone ever got a new VP and it was bad?
I think I'm just gonna go back to square 1.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well fellas I finally got her to start up!!!
After draining both batteries from bleeding the fuel lines, I went out and got 2 new batteries and what do you know after a few more minutes of bleeding she started rite up!!
After all the videos I've watched and research I've done, I would have never thought you had to bleed the air for that long. Total I must have been at least half hour.
I'm just thankful for all your guys time and effort into this forum. Maybe now after all of this I can reply to a thread and know what I'm talking about. (Maybe):stirpot:

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
:woot: :thumbsup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.