Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I flipped the oil pan with sump in front (to clear axle interference issues with my build), and replaced the oil pickup tube to match. But while I was putting the oil pan back in I noticed that I had to relocate the oil dipstick, so I punched out the cap plug that is toward the front, so I could put the oil dipstick there later.

After tucking everything up, it was time to remove the oil dipstick and move it to the front. Problem is the dipstick won't come off, not as easy as the transmission dipstick. The tube is plastic and if I pried/pulled it any harder I was afraid it would break. And even if the plastic came off, there is a metal tubing stub peened into the block. Am I supposed to reuse the metal stub or cap it and buy a new one for the front?

If anyone has done this, relocating the oil dipstick, I'd appreciate if you'd share any tricks.

·
Super Moderator
23,304 Posts
Yes I have replaced that many times when I used to R+R engines. Sometimes you can get lucky and put vicegrips on the metal tube and wiggle and pull and get them out. As far as the plastic tube if you put a little heat on it you should be able to get it off. You can get the metal and or plastic hose at cummins. When you put the metal tube in put it in the freezer for a while to shrink it up and it will go in easier.

Reactions: ClassA4x4

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll check with my local Cummins dealer on Monday. If it doesn't cost too much I think I'll keep the rear dipstick tube and cap it (for future use just in case) and put a new one in front.

·
Super Moderator
23,304 Posts
It would be easier to leave old tube in and cap it that to take it out and try to find something to plug hole and hope it stays. I never had to buy one but shouldn't be over $10.00. I've never tried this but maybe a brake line would work and put a short piect of fuel line over it with a hose clamp to keep it from going in to far. And you could put loctite on it to keep it in. Just a idea!

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It would be easier to leave old tube in and cap it that to take it out and try to find something to plug hole and hope it stays. I never had to buy one but shouldn't be over $10.00. I've never tried this but maybe a brake line would work and put a short piect of fuel line over it with a hose clamp to keep it from going in to far. And you could put loctite on it to keep it in. Just a idea!
Great idea!

Thanks.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Do any of you guys have the part number for the steel part of the dipstick tube? I broke my flush with the block while replacing my crank position sensor. Thanks Ed Opps sorry didnt realize this was for the first gen trucks.

·
Registered
633 Posts
If you take your serial # and all that jazz to the Cummins dealership, they'll be able to order it for you. I went to a local Freighliner place and got the tube and the 2 metal nubs for like $40 I believe.

To get mine out I threaded a bolt into the nub (mine was broken off flush with the block) and worked it out with a flathead screwdriver, prying up against the block.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts