Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am in the middle of building my 518 for my conversion but I seem to have run into a snag. I put 5 clutchs in my forward clutch pack where as there were 4 before. I am using a thinner reaction plate from PATC and thinner snap ring. Well I put it together and lowered it onto the annulus gear inside the sunshell, went right on no problem.
Then I rotated the assembly by hand and tried to pull it back out to make sure I was getting full ingagement and the thing wouldn't come back out. So I wiggled and turned for a while a got it out. I looked at the clutchs and they were all lined up. I rechecked everything, set the three tab washer and round washers back in place and tried again. Stuck!!!! Wiggled some more and got it out again.
I took some measurments from the end of the intermediate shaft down to where the annulus gear teeth stop down in the sun shell and the measure the drum with clutchs fully assembled, subtracting the thickness of my straight edge and the reaction plate to see what depth the top friction disk was at and I have come to the conclusion that with this set up the thinner reaction plate and the added friction actually sit to far down around the annulus gear and that friction plate slides right off the annulus gear and gets hung up.
My real question here is how are other people getting this to work? I looked at Joel's garage write up and BC847's on Diesel Truck Resource forum and they both seem to have the same set up that I am trying to run. Did they simply not catch this problem or do they have a different annulus gear with deeper teeth than mine?
Any Ideas? Am I just wasting my time and I should just go back to 4 clutchs?:confused013:

·
1ST GEN
15,572 Posts
Do you have the small button thrust washer on the end of the shaft?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you have the small button thrust washer on the end of the shaft?
Yes all the correct spacers and washers are in there, I have tripple checked it. I actually took the sun gear out of the sun shell and flipped it around last night and that seems to have made an improvement. I was also fighting total end play which was zero before I flipped the sun gear and now I have about .025. I think I am going to put the thickest three tab washer in it and drop the pump housing washer from .081 now to a .041 and see where that puts me. I still wonder about the friction teeth ingagement but I am not sure if there is a definent way to tell how much ingagement you really have when it is all put together. We'll see. Thanks for any suggestions.:doh:

·
Registered
65 Posts
The sun gear has one end that has a much larger chamfer on the ID, the big chamfer goes toward the front of the tranny, also the end with the chamfer is a good bit longer than the back end, something like a .150". Unless you had teeth gone and had to replace the sun gear why would you take it out of the shell? Don't know what's out there aftermarket wize but until the start of 48re production there was only one front annulus gear. The thrust washer between the input and intermediate (or output for 727) shafts sets the location of the rear clutch retainer. You didn't happen to have the input shaft pressed out of the rear clutch piston retainer and not get it pressed all the way back in?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Shes all fixed up now. No pressing of the shafts. My end play was me installing the bushing in the front drum wrong and it held the pump up. I don't know why I took the sun shell apart, maybe just to look at it ( I take everything apart ). For now it works great. My only issue is that it shifts into 3rd and then 4th really fast.

·
Registered
375 Posts
tps needs adjustment

·
Registered
375 Posts
that would make sense then due to the fact that the ECM and tps control the up and down shift of the 3 - 4, 4 - 3 shift points unless you bypass the system by installing a toggle switch to manually engage OD and disengage OD there is a sticky on here somewhere :)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The 4 speed came out of a different truck (92) so I guess it had a pcm at one time. It is on a toggle switch. It really isn't that bad but a little more time in 3rd would be nice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts