Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had someone put in my gauges. I could have easily done it but I have not had any time to do so since I work all the time. Well he couldn't figure out how to prime the diaphram/isolator that is installed in the line between the gauge and fuel filter housing. What is the easiest way to prime this? I want to do it myself since he already has soaked me for enough money on this little project. Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
I don't have isolators on my gauges so I can't address your question but I would argue that bleeding the line between the isolator and the gauge is part of the installation for which you already you paid.

The isolator manufacturer probably publishes their recommended procedure.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
should just turn the key on to accessories and let the pump fill the lines back up and then it should fire. if not you may have to bump the starter(ive never done it but have read about it on here).

·
Premium Member
3,941 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does the Danin Optix gauges have a vent on them? I never looked in detail at them? Teh problem is priming the line between the gauge and diaphram with kerosene or mineral oil.

·
Cummins CrAzY
1,366 Posts
If you have an autometer, there is a screw right above the fitting for the fuel side, crack it open and turn the key on to engage the lift pump and tighten it back down when you dont see any more air bubbles.

·
Premium Member
5,814 Posts
Lots of different Isolators on the market...... so knowing which you have is hard to figure.

Most have a single bleed screw, and that is traditionally used on the fuel side. The only way to completely fill the gauge side ( I USE ANTIFREEZE ) would be to:

Leave the fuel system turned off

Bleed off fuel pressure on the fuel side of isolator

Remove fitting from gauge side

Depress fully the diapham in the isolator towards the fuel side, be sure to use a pencil eraser or something blunt so you do not puncture it.

Then fill the Isolator with your fluid till it is completely full

Re-insert the compression fitting

Without connecting your tubing to the compression, fill it letting excess run out the bottom until air bubbles are gone, once bubbles are gone slip it into the compression fitting and tighten. If you are blessed to have a vacuum tool, you could also suck the fluid into the tube. Regardless what method you need to fill the tube with fluid, air bubbles will screw you up.

Now, fill the gauge with fluid.... some gauges accept an ounce or two some take very little

Finally, connect your tubing to the gauge and tighten before you spill fluid and introduce air bubble.

Once you have the Isolator to gauge side filled completely, you can start the fuel system and bleed air from the Fuel side until you get all fuel.

This should produce a solid gauge with no air bubbles. By depressing the diaphram towards the fuel, the isolator will over power a few air bubbles in the tubing on the gauge side.... without that first step, many people pull their hair out.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
i think the isolator you have has to have the gauge side filled with a solution most use antifreeze i use glycerin while you are at the pharmacy getting the glycerin get a large syringe and force the glycerin down the gauge side of the isolator when it will not take any more it is ready to hook to the gauge

·
Registered
72 Posts
i think the isolator you have has to have the gauge side filled with a solution most use antifreeze i use glycerin while you are at the pharmacy getting the glycerin get a large syringe and force the glycerin down the gauge side of the isolator when it will not take any more it is ready to hook to the gauge
Sounds real easy, until you try to do it. I saw my Uncle use some kind of hand pump.... he slurped it up right out of the container

1 - 10 of 10 Posts