Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im not entirely sure that this is the correct section to post this in so my apologies in advance if im wrong.
Im wondering of anyone else has experienced a similar situation or what your opinions are on the following scenario.
I ordered a 5500 limited from the same dealer that my father bought his from where I bought my current 4500 from that im trading in. (Ill withhold the dealership name for now as im still trying to resolve this).
I placed the order on Dec 9th.
Received a vin# on 12/21.
On 12/21 I called the dealership and asked my sales rep if despite the truck being issued a vin if they could make a change to the order and remove the shut down timer I had originally ordered the truck with ($95 option). He said he would try and subsequently was able to get that removed from the build.
Heres where things get murky……
My sales rep tells me that the bad news is that there was a price increase on 12/13 and the cost of my truck increased $1000 despite my SIGNED sales order.
He tells me that my truck now cost $1000 more because of the change made to the order after rams price increase went into effect DESPITE the truck already have been ordered, deposit paid and issued a vin! Is this something any of you have ever heard of or had happen to you? Im interested in your thoughts or if im being irrational for being royaly pissed off!

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
Sounds fishy to me, that delete should be just a program in the ECM. I’d ask to see the documentation of the factory price increase.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know on some of the GM forums there are GM customer service reps that troll around and reach out to address member issues like this.
Its been a while since I’ve posted on here and I can’t remember if I have ever seen anyone from Ram reach out regarding a specific issue. Sure would be helpful

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
If it feels like you're being lied to, you probably are....

·
Rear Admiral Rickard Onmi
2018 Ram 3500 CCLBSRW
12,416 Posts
I'd tell them they should have contacted you when they found out about the cost difference, prior to changing anything. I also call BS on it They are trying to creep a little extra profit out of you

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have a 2500 in transit with a very similar order timeline to what you have described, list price $87k. No price increase since I ordered. The dealer should be able to show you the detail exactly what elements of your truck pricing changed, an even $1000.00 sounds like a greedy dealer!

·
Registered
2017 ram 2500 tradesman 4x4 g56 ext cab
38 Posts
Because you changed the order … then new pricing applies to the build
Had you not touched anything then they would have honored the price. It’s in the contract :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Relevant detail….. I have a control # for “affiliate pricing” which is supposed to be 1% below dealer invoice.

initially the salesman said the dealership has chosen not to honor the affiliate pricing and then after explaining that this isn’t the first truck My family and I have purchased from them and dont plan for it to be my last they reluctantly agreed to sell me the truck for $1000 over invoice and said if the affiliate pricing doesn’t go away (as they suspect it will) by the time the truck comes in they would take the $1000 off and sell me the truck at invoice, essentially the affiliate pricing.

Im beginning to feel the dealer got word the affiliate pricing program isn’t going away and were trying to recoup the extra thousand.

Thankfully I hand wrote the terms they agreed to on the sales agreement next to where I signed.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Had you not touched anything then they would have honored the price. It’s in the contract :)
im not sure if there is some sarcasm in there I am supposed to pick up on or not lol

either way, I never got anything that had that clause in it. Don’t you think someone should have said something about any changes would make this truck subject to a price increase (if there really was one) ?

the paperwork is signed and the deposit is paid. Deal is done as far as im concerned

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
Im not entirely sure that this is the correct section to post this in so my apologies in advance if im wrong.
Im wondering of anyone else has experienced a similar situation or what your opinions are on the following scenario.
I ordered a 5500 limited from the same dealer that my father bought his from where I bought my current 4500 from that im trading in. (Ill withhold the dealership name for now as im still trying to resolve this).
I placed the order on Dec 9th.
Received a vin# on 12/21.
On 12/21 I called the dealership and asked my sales rep if despite the truck being issued a vin if they could make a change to the order and remove the shut down timer I had originally ordered the truck with ($95 option). He said he would try and subsequently was able to get that removed from the build.
Heres where things get murky……
My sales rep tells me that the bad news is that there was a price increase on 12/13 and the cost of my truck increased $1000 despite my SIGNED sales order.
He tells me that my truck now cost $1000 more because of the change made to the order after rams price increase went into effect DESPITE the truck already have been ordered, deposit paid and issued a vin! Is this something any of you have ever heard of or had happen to you? Im interested in your thoughts or if im being irrational for being royaly pissed off!
This is correct. If you make a change to your order, and stellantis ends up accepting that change, they will “re-invoice” the dealer with a new POC (basically like a new order all over again, but VIN remains). That means if there were any price increases since your original order, and the changed order, it is going to be reflected onto the dealer when they are invoiced (even when they have price protection), and they have to pass it onto you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
41On 11/15 I ordered a 3500. On 12/13 while still in "D" status I emailed and asked if I could add the wired trailer camera option. I was told that I could, but I would lose price protection and that Ram just had a price increase. She said Ram's website was down and she didn't know what the increase on the 3500's would be, but the base price on TRX's were going up $2300. I figured the camera would probably end up costing me $2000 and possibly delay my order a month so I skipped it.

I think your dealer had an obligation to tell you about the price increase and losing price protection when changed your order - nobody would expect deleting a $90 option to cost them $1000.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Agreed, if what Jimmy07 is true while I truly feel bad for the salesman I think this is on him for dropping the ball. He did casually mention that he didn’t know there was a price increase when he made the change.
Im not trying to be a d!ck but I feel like somebody wether its FCA or the dealership should make this oversight right for me.

·
Registered
8,593 Posts
You think you have it bad, I know a lady who ordered a corvette, dealer called her to tell her it was in. She gets there and they wanted to charge her $12,000 over their original price. They said “too bad, yea you ordered it but it’s technically ours. So they gave her the deposit back and parked it on the showroom floor.

Reactions: 6401nohl

·
Premium Member
I know nothing.🙄
2,187 Posts
You think you have it bad, I know a lady who ordered a corvette, dealer called her to tell her it was in. She gets there and they wanted to charge her $12,000 over their original price. They said “too bad, yea you ordered it but it’s technically ours. So they gave her the deposit back and parked it on the showroom floor.
What a world we live in.

The only reason this happens is because there are so many suckers rn. Imagine if oil climbs higher and there’s no more part shortage… poof there goes everyone’s "investments" in their gas guzzlers. We’ve seen this happen before… and that was not too long ago…

Reactions: krs and mattswaggs

·
Registered
79 Posts
You might consider waiting until the truck comes in and tell them there's been an unfortunate development in your household: the management has reduced the funds budgeted for the purchase by $2,000, so you'll be paying less for the truck...completely out of your control.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
It can happen with Trucks on the lot as well. My salesman called because someone special ordered a loaded '21 Night Edition Laramie Mega Cab and backed out. He thought I'd be interested. I get there to arm wrestle over the price and make a deal. But even before that, they tack on $11k for something like a "geographic or territory premium on Diesels" that he never mentioned on the phone. All I could do was laugh at him. Yea, I'm not that interested, my '14 is doing just fine thank you.... After a lot of back and and forth, end of month, after closing time, etc., we ended up with a deal that began with them removing the $11k arbitrary markup fee. Simply boiled down to - do you want to move the Truck or not; and they did. :sneaky: :LOL:

But I think like your lady friend's situation, it depends if they have something desirable that they can move to another sucker for that premium. In my case, that Truck was gonna sit on the lot for awhile as loaded Black Mega Cabs just aren't that popular.

Reactions: gsbrockman

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not all dealers take advantage of the current environment we are living in. The ones that aren’t will gain many long term & loyal customers. The ones that are will feel it when this bubble inevitably pops. The truck buying crowd, diesels specifically has a good memory.

·
MMMM......BACON!!!
2,679 Posts
Relevant detail….. I have a control # for “affiliate pricing” which is supposed to be 1% below dealer invoice.

initially the salesman said the dealership has chosen not to honor the affiliate pricing and then after explaining that this isn’t the first truck My family and I have purchased from them and dont plan for it to be my last they reluctantly agreed to sell me the truck for $1000 over invoice and said if the affiliate pricing doesn’t go away (as they suspect it will) by the time the truck comes in they would take the $1000 off and sell me the truck at invoice, essentially the affiliate pricing.

Im beginning to feel the dealer got word the affiliate pricing program isn’t going away and were trying to recoup the extra thousand.

Thankfully I hand wrote the terms they agreed to on the sales agreement next to where I signed.
I'd find another dealer. There are volume dealers selling for 4-5% UNDER invoice for sold orders.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I saw a deal like that from granger in Iowa!
I haul Livestock so getting the truck back from Iowa is no big deal and Eby (the company that we use for our aluminum flat beds) has a manufacturing facility in Iowa too! It would be no inconvenience to get my truck there. Definitely an option if I can get my deposit back.

·
Registered
19 Posts
sarcastic or not, this is it…somewhat falls on your dealer for not being knowledgeable enough about the process to let you know of the possible increase before/when changing the order…even though the OP is the ones that bears the ultimate cost, I wouldn’t honestly expect him to have known this to be the case…

new world we are in these days, I ordered from one of these high volume ordering dealers and the salesperson made a point to let me know that they couldn’t guarantee the same price if a change was made to the order.

the other aspect to consider is that apparently a lot of dealers don’t know how to price protect an order so that’s something else to confirm (if the msrp increases again in a similar manner as it did mid december, if the dealer doesn’t price protect the buyer is on the hook for the increase…if price protected, the new increased msrp doesn’t come into play)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts