Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First i will list the problem... has a slight knock at idle but off idle sounds fine and seems to be running out of fuel at high rpms smoke turns white at high rpms, also sounds funny through the exhaust (not quite a miss but not smooth)

Symptoms:
-the crankcase vent hose hanging out the bottom was pushing oil out of it a couple times(not much just a lil)
-low power over 2000 rpm(fuels hard at low rpm but then peters out)
-cant seem to follow the knock with changing injectors around in different cylinders and it seems to sound the same
-as time went on it seemed to get worse but not the noise just the lack of power was usually hitting 40 psi of boost and slowly fell to only being able to make 30 psi
-the egt gauge used to peg itself out very quickly but now will barely make it to 1200

Test results:
-cut apart an oil filter and no material in it
-compression test. good across the board, min of 335psi
-leak down test. most leak was 15%
-fuel pressure test. 15-17psi with truck off key on pump running constant
-oil pressure is at around maybe 60 psi
-injectors test, had them tested twice by two places and both times came back ok
-new injector tubes no change
-injection pump, had it changed put a remaned one in fresh made no difference and was returned
-ecm, had it swapped for a known working one and no change
-new fuel filters no change
-remove edge comp box and no change
-valve lash has been set twice
-crank position sensor replaced

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED! THANK YOU!

·
Registered
510 Posts
any codes? maybe also try and clean map sensor

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will try both thanks! any other ideas?

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
sounds like maybe a fuel leak..you got power in the pow end put when you hit 2,0000 rpm it doesnt run good..make me think fuel line is leaking..maybe the "T" in the back of the engine on driver side..maybe one of the connections at the head from vp44 up to the connector that feeds the injectors..which is called the feed tube..the nut will take a 19 mm wrench or 3/4"..28 to 30 ft.lbs..or a little tighter than snug if no torque wrench.how does the o-rings look on the feed tubes and the 0-rings on the injectors?when changing out injectors..did you make sure that the copper washers stayed with thr injector and not stay in the bore to where has one injector has two copper washers and one injector has none?please keep us informed bud.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
8,035 Posts
You HAVE to check fuel pressure @ WOT. also check codes. Fuel pressure in the VP also controls timing advance, timing can cause these issues.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Blue 2003 i have checked all the lines and replaced the orings on both the connector tubes and the injectors and also the crush washers i double and triple checked for any that might have stayed in there

turbolvr i will run a gauge and check it at wot but the only problem is that i need a front cover injection pump gear screw on cap cause mine had been broke and fixed and then me trying to put it back on... well it broke so as soon as i find one i will check the fuel pressure, clean the map and check for codes

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i have checked fuel pressure and was perfect i also cleaned the map sensor and still nothing
NOW A NEW SYMPTOM: now in neutral when you rev the engine to around 2700 rpm it misses and pores out white smoke, its not oil smoke it has the strong smell of fuel! also on number 5 cylinder when you crack the injection line the knock goes away. so i am guessing it needs injectors like maybe it is sticking? but also i am getting a dead pedal everyonce and a while? what are all the things that will cause a dead pedal?

·
Wyoming Eastern President
2,978 Posts
APPS reset might help your "dead pedal", but what was your fuel pressure WOP?
Sounds like you have a bad #5 line/tube or the VP is shot

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
12 psi and how do you reset the apps? i have also replaces the injector tubes and what other things could i look for if it was a bad vp?

·
Premium Member
8,035 Posts

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Timbo has some apps info on his site. Also see mopar1973man for apps set/re-set.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I know you cleaned the MAP sensor but usually that does not work, you have to get a new one. Could be the dead pedal issue.

·
Registered
252 Posts
This may seem a little elementry, but you said you pop tested the injectors twice and there fine. My quetion is what pressure are they "popping" at? If your VP has lost some of it's spunk like they all do over time, and your injectors are shimmed to pop at stock pressure, maybe there's a large difference between the two???

1 - 13 of 13 Posts