Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
FUEL
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought my 07 6.7 with 3900 miles on it. according to the sticker in the window it had been serviced by the dealership a week before i bought it and that its next service interval was at 6900 miles in june. after putting 600 miles on the truck it already says 'change oil' on the overhead. why is this?

i know i am not the only one with this issue as i have seen multiple other mentions of this problem, some as soon as 200 miles of trailering after an oil change. i really do not want to spend the money on changing my oil just to reset the overhead when i still have 1500+ miles left on this oil. could this mean something is wrong wth my oil, or more likely something is out of line with the computer?

ether way i may just change the oil (gives me an excuse to go to AMSOIL)

input?

·
Registered
331 Posts
It is preset in the trucks computer to go off every so often at a predetermined mileage. If the oil is not changed and you go over or under it then you will not be timed right with it. I go longer than mine says to. Its just a timer deal not a real sensor(what dodge thinks you should do).

To turn it off. Get in your truck and turn the key to "on" without starting it. Now push the pedal down three separate times to the floor and up, and then start the truck. It will shut off the chime and the message till the next time.

Its not the bible. Change on your own mileage.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
the change oil light comes on when the computer tells it to. It takes into acout the type of driving you have been doing loads and alot of other things. Mine came on at 4500 miles and I went ahead and changed my oil. I will do it at 6K now and just reset the idiot light when it comes on

Chris

1 - 3 of 3 Posts