Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright guys im new to the forum an been runnin dodges since i was 17. ive got an 01 3500 im workin on an kinda wonderin what the issue is with the preheat i cycle the it 3 or 4 times in the moring an the ol girl still starts hard. wondering if i have a relay goin bad or if the heater itself is is slowly goin out. but once it gets warmed up she starts everytime. temp up here has been gettin down to bout 25 30 degrees. if yall could send me some ideas itd sure be apreciated

·
Vendor
1,673 Posts
:welcome:

Has the truck had hard start issues in the past?
What kinda fuel pressure do you have?
It's not likely the grid heater is kickin the bucket, there's nothing to them just a +/- connection and a grid.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
to my knowledge it hasnt had this problem before. fuel pressure is good. it seems like the wait to start light dousnt stay on as long as it used to in colder temps. is there a solonoid that it hooks to? or dous the pcm tell it when to kick it in an out

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
I would start with the batteries... When you start the truck do the volts stay low until you start driving in the morning? If it does that tells me the grid heater is working... I would check the batteries

·
Registered
503 Posts
could be. take your batteries somewhere and have them tested individually. i dont mean by just sticking a meter on them...putting a load on them as well

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
The intake heater will cycle more than once depending on the outside air temperature.
It stops after a determined number of cycles in the program or until you get up to 20mph.
Each time it cycles, it pulls 180 amps....heck of a load on the batteries and alternator.
If the batteries are weak, the poor alternator tries to take up the slack.

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
I'm not even running a grid heater at 32*F and don't even have a hard start...

Everyone is right everytime you activate the grid heaters you drawing huge amount of power...
Mopar1973Man's Dodge Cummins Articles - Grid Heater

I'l be looking at the fact you got a possible air leak in the fuel system making life hard on ya...

·
Registered
549 Posts
I would get the batteries checked. When my batteries were kicking the bucket just the draw from the grid heater would take enough out of them that it would barely turn over my truck.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
my batteries are getting weak so i just start the truck as soon as i hit the swtich and it starts right up. i am afraid it i let the grids cycle it might not start. i need new batteries just trying to squeeze a little more ot of them. but mopar is also right an air leak will cause hard start also. just wnt thru that one also.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts