Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm having to replace my filter pretty often and want to put an oiled pre filter wrap on it. Does anyone make one for this filter? My searching only turns up a net bag to put over it I guess to keep out bugs and stuff. I want the oiled foam wrap. Thanks in advance for any input.

·
Premium Member
2,135 Posts
What’re your driving conditions? Also, what is your determination that you need to change it? Just curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Driving conditions vary. Cross country on interstates, also local service calls, dirt roads, pretty much the gamut. I determine it needs changing by the looks of it. Black and dirty. I'm changing it every 10-12 months.

·
Premium Member
2,135 Posts
I’ve had mine on for about 3 years now? But I’m all street driving and I average 10-12k a year. I send my oil out for samples every 5k and I also have a filter minder modified to fit the BHAF. The only prefilter I have is the Outerwears one.

Maybe you could get more life out of it by sending out an oil sample?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I've used this for about 1.5 years and mine is still sparkly clean. Water proof, very fine material, not oiled but that shouldn't be needed.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ordered some 1/4" foam filter wrap material. I'll cut one and have the wife sew it together on her sewing machine to make a wrap for it that I can oil.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I found out why it's getting black so quickly today. I just rebuilt the air conditioning system on it and had some gauges on it checking the charge. While I was watching the charge, I decided to bump the idle up a hair and when I got it where I wanted, I put it in gear and goosed the engine and let off rapidly to see if it would die or recover. When I goosed it, some exhaust blew out at the connection behind the turbo. That's what's making my filter black I'm sure. Apparently it only does it when I give it hard acceleration. I plan on putting larger exhaust on it soon, so that should take care of that.

·
Premium Member
2,135 Posts
Thanks for the follow up!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts