Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Precision U Joints = Problems

15946 Views 27 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  guinness765
Hey guys I just figured out what was making the clip clop sound on my truck. I used precision U joints for axle u joints and both of them have side to side play in them already..One side has only 2000 miles on it.. Go for the spicer...might do you better...:S:
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
325 Posts
Hey guys I just figured out what was making the clip clop sound on my truck. I used precision U joints for axle u joints and both of them have side to side play in them already..One side has only 2000 miles on it.. Go for the spicer...might do you better...:S:
No way, I have been replacing all my u joints with precision. That sucks!:banghead:

· Registered
68 Posts
The tranny shop that I worked at has been using them for years with no problems.I always try to run Spicer u joints in my own stuff but I was given some precision u joints that I put in my mud trucks front driveshaft they have done good and I beat the snot outta it.

· Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have had issues with the very front Joint on the Front shaft and now the 2 axle u joints...I guess it depends how your axle shafts go together...the drive shaft u joints are precision as well and seem to be fine...who knows..I talked to the guy at my local driveline shop and he said he wont use precision.. I bought (2) 3-0485 NEAPCO joints off him as he didnt have the newly made Spicer Lifes...he also said that up until 8 months ago Spicer was putting neapco joints in their box for this application. The Spicers have a plastic type keeper where the Neapco have a Metal Keeper...again its all preference...:thumbsup:

· Registered
2,412 Posts
I just replaced one as well with percision about 2 weeks ago. Did it not centre right?

· Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thats the weird part for me..both sides of the axle u joints were tight as heck to get in there...and then to have side to side movement like I do I was perplexed for sure..:confused013:

· Premium Member
6,359 Posts
The Precision 464's are made in 3 different factories so it is hard to know what you are getting. The chinese ones look like a 12 year old kid made them with a hammer and a rock.:doh:

The Spicer Life joints are the way to go. They can be hard to find but I try my best to keep them in stock.

· Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree, I replaced today with Neapcos as the spicer lifes were non existent around here. The ears on the axle shafts were not messed with and the new joints fit amazing. There was alomost 1/8" play in the precision joint after 2000 miles? All Good now

Reactions: Ppump24v

· Registered
2,412 Posts
Just started to get a lot of noise from the precision u joint today. I replaced about 2500miles ago. Wow looking back it's only lasted 2 months.

· Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yup...neapco or spicer....

Reactions: MegaDuke

· Registered
630 Posts
Was on 8lug truck gears website..says this about item Spicer 5006813 U Joint.... These are designed specifically for the AAM 9.25 front axle used in 03-up Dodge Ram trucks. Anyone know if 69.99 is a good price?..or where to find it cheaper?

· Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Was on 8lug truck gears website..says this about item Spicer 5006813 U Joint.... These are designed specifically for the AAM 9.25 front axle used in 03-up Dodge Ram trucks. Anyone know if 69.99 is a good price?..or where to find it cheaper?
I think thats about the going rate but try and put the part number into spicer and see.

· Registered
630 Posts
Thanks....I just odered from them. Joints were cheaper and so was shipping...saved me almost $25 ordering from them instead of 8lug.

· Registered
53 Posts
My precisions are shot after 15k...I thought the spicer joints had to be ground to the AAM yokes? Or are the Spicer Life joints made for the AAM axles??

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.