Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at trying a Viper Line Triple Disc Torque converter from Precision. Im not talking about the cheap ebay precision either. Just curious if anyone has ran one? I know they make some awesome TC for the allison trans.. There website doesn't show the one for the 48re but they have one.

Precision Industries

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:thumbsup:
don't think you'll find many are using that stuff. IHMO, you'd be better off sticking with a trans shop with a diesel reputation.

There's several good one's out there. Since you're in the south I'd suggest giving Phil Taylor a call at Garmon Diesel. He builds complete custom converter for your needs.
They build quite a bit for diesel. Just don't advertise it much.. ALl the Dmax guys run them. Just was curious if anyone had one in there cummins.. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
282 Posts
don't think you'll find many are using that stuff. IHMO, you'd be better off sticking with a trans shop with a diesel reputation.

There's several good one's out there. Since you're in the south I'd suggest giving Phil Taylor a call at Garmon Diesel. He builds complete custom converter for your needs.

LMAO!!!

Who do you think MANUFACTURES the kits that Garmon, Goerend, Recon, even Banks & many many others use??!! The list goes on and on and on and on.

Yes, it's PI.

How do I know this? Because we buy our triple kits from them.

Anyways, yes 6cummins, they make a fine converter.

Reactions: 05CumminsCoal

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
LMAO!!!

Who do you think MANUFACTURES the kits that Garmon, Goerend, Recon, even Banks & many many others use??!! The list goes on and on and on and on.

Yes, it's PI.

How do I know this? Because we buy our triple kits from them.

Anyways, yes 6cummins, they make a fine converter.
LMAO... I am aware of that but, it's what's done with it once it's in Garmon's or Georends hands. Your getting nothing but a off the shelf converter buying from them. Not a triple disk I'd want.

·
Registered
282 Posts
LMAO... I am aware of that but, it's what's done with it once it's in Garmon's or Georends hands. Your getting nothing but a off the shelf converter buying from them. Not a triple disk I'd want.
Um, again, not true.

PI manufactures stators, etc. You can custom order anything you want.

Jack's always treated us very well whether it's Cummins or Duramax.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Please educate me on this subject because I'm going to be in the market soon for a converter and valve body. Wanderer, if I understand correctly what you are saying is that the PI converter is exactly the same one that I'd get from Garmons or Goerend? I was under the impression that they made their own, or at least had their own mods that they did to make theirs different than others on the market. Is this not the case? I'm not trying to be a smart a$$, I really do want to kow. I don't want to spend extra money on something that I could have gotten cheaper for the same thing. Thanks,

Doug

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
PI is a wholesale distributor for transmission parts. Yes, most every builder out there purchases from them but, they don't install their kits as is. I can only speak about what Garmon does as I don't know what other do but, you won't find one of those converters in a Garmon build trans.

Phil Taylor who custom builds TQ's at Garmons purchased all his equipment from PI. They purchase parts and that's it. They're building their own converter from a base part. I've also yet to see a pink converter in anyone's truck.

fire.... there's nothing wrong with their converter but, as I said.... it's a off the shelf converter.

The reason there's only several "real" quality builders is because of what they know and how they do it. Anyone can buy a kit from PI or any where else but, it's not gonna last long or work as well as it could.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I'm sorry triton, but with the correct parts, any half decent converter builder can build one.

There's nothing to a BW 310mm converter.

ALL of them have furnace brazed tops & impellers.

It's not rocket science.

Kit + hardened splins + choice of stator = converter.

The only variable is the stator and if the builder is capable, the fins on the top can be bent slightly without breaking the brazing.

Assemble, set the height & repeat.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with Garmon, Goerend, anyone for that matter, they're all producing great products, but really, any competant converter shop can produce the exact same product.

More importantly SONNAX has just released a triple kit with a BILLET PISTON that goes together with NO machining. So with a good stator even less skill is required.

TCS (the converter shop arizona) has always used a billet piston.

However I will give you that knowing which combination to use is important.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I use to run a TCS triple disc and loved it :thumbsup:

·
Registered
282 Posts
Which TCS, the one in Arizona or the one in BC, Canada?

We ordered a triple kit from the one in Arizona once & only once. The billet piston was nice but the kit was poorly finished & required a lot of work.

TCS in Canada on the other hand have always treated us very well. Steve is always reachable (for me anyway) & helpful & Marcy is a pleasure to deal with.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Which TCS, the one in Arizona or the one in BC, Canada?

We ordered a triple kit from the one in Arizona once & only once. The billet piston was nice but the kit was poorly finished & required a lot of work.

TCS in Canada on the other hand have always treated us very well. Steve is always reachable (for me anyway) & helpful & Marcy is a pleasure to deal with.
You got me on that one. I bought it through a vendor on it.. I never had a lick of trouble with it. It was just the triple disc converter I bought from them.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Buy the converter from pi .when garmans gets it in hands he shake shake shakes it and puts it in!:hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe:

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Buy the converter from pi .when garmans gets it in hands he shake shake shakes it and puts it in!:hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe:
I think I missed something?? :confused013:

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Wrong precision

I know this thread is a little old but I would not want anyone to be confused. I beleive there are 2 companys that make torque converters under the name "Precision" if you want a diesel torque converter that kicks and then the Precision you are looking for is Torque Converters - Precision of New Hampton I could be wrong but they look very different and the Precision of New Hampton converter is definetly what you are looking for in a Diesel.

:thumbsup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts