Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The title pretty much says it all. I'm wanting to change the stock exhaust on my 04.5 to something better. Nothing really done to the engine, a mild programmer tune and an airraid quick fit air filter. Wanting to upgrade the filter/intake setup, and what I am thinking is a 5" straight pipe from the turbo exhaust wise. Looking for better sound, maybe better egts and hopefully a touch of mpg in the mix. Should I just go buy a kit, say from RBP or the like? Or would my local exhaust shop building me a 5" turbo back straight pipe, and me throwing on the exhaust tip of my choice do the job? I'm looking to keep things affordable, but I do not want to save some cash at the cost of having a good exhaust system. Any advice? Suggested kits? Is 5" going to be excessive for a more or less stock motor? In the future I'm not really looking to go for much power, prob 450hp at max, I am leaning more towards reliability and longevity.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
pipe is pipe. you can get 5in kits for around $300. I wouldn't mess with having a shop "build" you and exhaust. 5in will just sound different. Won't give cooler EGT or better mileage. RBP is a good place to get an exhaust tip if you like wasting money. Flo-Pro, Diamond Eye, MBRP, etc... are all good choices.

·
World Champs!!!
24,232 Posts
Yep. Go order one to the $300 ones and call it good.

PS, don't expect anything from an exhaust or intake; no more power, minimal if any EGT reduction, and no better mileage.

Actually, expect worse mileage, as you'll always be running around listening to that straight-piped goodness that is a Cummins!

·
Registered
327 Posts
4 inch pipe is big enough for your goal of 450hp, however I prefer 5 inch. Most exhaust shops, at least in my area, will not have a bender large enough to do 4 or 5 inch pipe, thus leaving you to buy an exhaust. I have a flo-pro, my brother has a diamond eye, and a close friend of mine has MBRP, all 5 inch stainless systems. Out of the 3 systems, the diamond eye gets my vote for bang for the buck because it sounds good and has stayed looking nice through everything we could throw at it, however the clamps and hangers do not look as nice as the others. Flo-pro has awesome fit and finish as well as sound quality, but is getting small rust spots like a stock stainless exhaust did. The MRBP kit sounds and looks great and seems to fit well, but in my opinion the cost causes it to rank behind the diamond eye.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts