Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I already have the PPE programer and BDAP 5" and I wanted to put a MP-8 on also. I am pretty new to the diesel stuff and I read somewhere about the MP-8 and turning down the low end fuel response, I have no idea what this is I thought the MP-8 was either on or off I dont want to put this on my truck and mess something up can someone explain.

·
Unreconstructed
6,587 Posts
Amen to that!!!!! 'Cause they ain't cheap!!!!!

A set of injectors, rail, HPOP, etc...is about $12,000 from Dodge, and they WON'T cover it in your warranty if there's evidence of over-excessive fuel pressure, from an outside source, that caused the failure, so I would definitely get a rail-pressure gauge!

·
Registered
722 Posts
so if you have a rail pressure gauge what percent are you runnin the mp-8 where you are seeing safe levels? I dont have a guage yet, and the edge doesn't show this, so i guess i need to grab one. any suggestions. thx

·
Unreconstructed
6,587 Posts
I know folks who leave theirs all the way up, and never have any problems! But then again, there's always the "Alabama Mud Machine's Law"...if there's a 1% chance, that my truck will tear-up...it will...at the worst possible time, and it will cost the most money to fix!

So, I hope you're luck ain't like mine?

·
Premium Member
8,425 Posts
mp8 is different on the 6.7 it is % adjustable not settings so its a dial, the low end responsivness talked about would be when stacking with the edge you have the option on the edge to turn it to 5 different levels.

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,040 Posts
I am not sure what the PPE does for its power, but like KMK said. The MP-8 only raises rail pressure on the 6.7s. It has a dial for adjustment. The Edge is the chip that has the Low End Responsiveness adjustment. A rail pressure gauge would be handy. I am looking at getting one myself. I run both of mine cranked almost all the time.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I am not sure what the PPE does for its power, but like KMK said. The MP-8 only raises rail pressure on the 6.7s. It has a dial for adjustment. The Edge is the chip that has the Low End Responsiveness adjustment. A rail pressure gauge would be handy. I am looking at getting one myself. I run both of mine cranked almost all the time.
haha as do I, since I went to compcowboy for advice after I got mine installed. I wonder what the difficulty would be to install the guages and where the placement would be on the fuel rail...

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok so when I get the mp-8 dosent it come with some sort of shim I would need to use along with the mp-8 because I am stacking it with the PPE. where can I get a gauge for the fuel rail what is a safe fuel pressure, does it rise with RPM or does it stay the same all the time because if its under the hood how am I suposed to see it if I am driving haha, maybe these are dubm questions just new to the diesel stuff and dont want a pile of parts ya know. do you think with these mods I will need a lift pump or anything too.

·
Premium Member
2,622 Posts
The MP-8 does come with the shims. I haven't had a chance to add a rail pressure gauge yet. I would start saving for a lift pump as the stock unit won't really like supplying fuel to the stack for very long.

·
5,040 Posts
Quadzilla makes a rail pressure gauge. I am gonna install one next time i get a couple pennies. I think the fuel rail is good up to 27k PSI if i remember right. Lift pump will me a must.

·
Premium Member
8,425 Posts
Quadzilla makes a rail pressure gauge. I am gonna install one next time i get a couple pennies. I think the fuel rail is good up to 27k PSI if i remember right. Lift pump will me a must.
will it work on the 6.7

·
5,040 Posts
yes it will, it just plugs into the same connector the MP-8 does on the fuel rail.

·
Premium Member
8,425 Posts
yes it will, it just plugs into the same connector the MP-8 does on the fuel rail.
I think I will order one tomorrow and see how it works.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Amen to that!!!!! 'Cause they ain't cheap!!!!!

A set of injectors, rail, HPOP, etc...is about $12,000 from Dodge, and they WON'T cover it in your warranty if there's evidence of over-excessive fuel pressure, from an outside source, that caused the failure, so I would definitely get a rail-pressure gauge!
Not doubting you, but the Cummins option on my truck was only about 6 grand. Why would so few parts be 12k?

·
Premium Member
8,425 Posts
because that is the way the dealerships work you could get it from cummins for at least half the price

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.