Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I already have the PPE programer and BDAP 5" and I wanted to put a MP-8 on also. I am pretty new to the diesel stuff and I read somewhere about the MP-8 and turning down the low end fuel response, I have no idea what this is I thought the MP-8 was either on or off I dont want to put this on my truck and mess something up can someone explain.

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
the mp8 is rail pressure and it has three settings, it does not add timing so its safe to stack

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
The Mp8 helps in the lower rpms, and the PPE is more high end higher rpms. So the Mp8 will help the bottom end and the PPE will pick up mid way and take you through the higher range

·
Unreconstructed
6,213 Posts
Amen to that!!!!! 'Cause they ain't cheap!!!!!

A set of injectors, rail, HPOP, etc...is about $12,000 from Dodge, and they WON'T cover it in your warranty if there's evidence of over-excessive fuel pressure, from an outside source, that caused the failure, so I would definitely get a rail-pressure gauge!

·
Registered
723 Posts
so if you have a rail pressure gauge what percent are you runnin the mp-8 where you are seeing safe levels? I dont have a guage yet, and the edge doesn't show this, so i guess i need to grab one. any suggestions. thx

·
Unreconstructed
6,213 Posts
I know folks who leave theirs all the way up, and never have any problems! But then again, there's always the "Alabama Mud Machine's Law"...if there's a 1% chance, that my truck will tear-up...it will...at the worst possible time, and it will cost the most money to fix!

So, I hope you're luck ain't like mine?

·
Premium Member
8,798 Posts
mp8 is different on the 6.7 it is % adjustable not settings so its a dial, the low end responsivness talked about would be when stacking with the edge you have the option on the edge to turn it to 5 different levels.

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,059 Posts
I am not sure what the PPE does for its power, but like KMK said. The MP-8 only raises rail pressure on the 6.7s. It has a dial for adjustment. The Edge is the chip that has the Low End Responsiveness adjustment. A rail pressure gauge would be handy. I am looking at getting one myself. I run both of mine cranked almost all the time.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I am not sure what the PPE does for its power, but like KMK said. The MP-8 only raises rail pressure on the 6.7s. It has a dial for adjustment. The Edge is the chip that has the Low End Responsiveness adjustment. A rail pressure gauge would be handy. I am looking at getting one myself. I run both of mine cranked almost all the time.
haha as do I, since I went to compcowboy for advice after I got mine installed. I wonder what the difficulty would be to install the guages and where the placement would be on the fuel rail...

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok so when I get the mp-8 dosent it come with some sort of shim I would need to use along with the mp-8 because I am stacking it with the PPE. where can I get a gauge for the fuel rail what is a safe fuel pressure, does it rise with RPM or does it stay the same all the time because if its under the hood how am I suposed to see it if I am driving haha, maybe these are dubm questions just new to the diesel stuff and dont want a pile of parts ya know. do you think with these mods I will need a lift pump or anything too.

·
Premium Member
2,627 Posts
The MP-8 does come with the shims. I haven't had a chance to add a rail pressure gauge yet. I would start saving for a lift pump as the stock unit won't really like supplying fuel to the stack for very long.

·
5,059 Posts
Quadzilla makes a rail pressure gauge. I am gonna install one next time i get a couple pennies. I think the fuel rail is good up to 27k PSI if i remember right. Lift pump will me a must.

·
Premium Member
8,798 Posts
Quadzilla makes a rail pressure gauge. I am gonna install one next time i get a couple pennies. I think the fuel rail is good up to 27k PSI if i remember right. Lift pump will me a must.
will it work on the 6.7

·
5,059 Posts
yes it will, it just plugs into the same connector the MP-8 does on the fuel rail.

·
Premium Member
8,798 Posts
yes it will, it just plugs into the same connector the MP-8 does on the fuel rail.
I think I will order one tomorrow and see how it works.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Amen to that!!!!! 'Cause they ain't cheap!!!!!

A set of injectors, rail, HPOP, etc...is about $12,000 from Dodge, and they WON'T cover it in your warranty if there's evidence of over-excessive fuel pressure, from an outside source, that caused the failure, so I would definitely get a rail-pressure gauge!
Not doubting you, but the Cummins option on my truck was only about 6 grand. Why would so few parts be 12k?

·
Premium Member
8,798 Posts
because that is the way the dealerships work you could get it from cummins for at least half the price

1 - 20 of 35 Posts