Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have heard from some older guy tht the only thing tht blocks power steering fluid from mixing with engine oil is a seal?is this true he works on semis n stuff and says he has seen it.so i have ben running motor oil in my power steering pump.i have also noticed my pump does leak and also noticed sometime my engine oil will be up a decent amount for some reason

·
Registered
10,784 Posts
the power steering pump cannot leak into the engine oil, the PS pump and VAC pump are seperated by an 'open air' coupler. If the seal leaks, it will piss out onto the ground.

If your engine oil is going up (and no obvious sign of a milkshake antifreeze brew), its best to send out a sample for analysis, its possible you have fuel contamination

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok thank ya tht was my other thought.where can fuel leak from injectors?rings?

·
Registered
10,784 Posts
could be from a f'd injector, worn out rings and excessive idling, injection pump, lift pump, ect.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
alright thanks

·
Rescue Tower
10,827 Posts
i have heard from some older guy tht the only thing tht blocks power steering fluid from mixing with engine oil is a seal?is this true he works on semis n stuff and says he has seen it.so i have ben running motor oil in my power steering pump.i have also noticed my pump does leak and also noticed sometime my engine oil will be up a decent amount for some reason
I'm surprised you PS system is not foaming over. Engine oil is not meant for that application.

·
Registered
10,784 Posts
pretty much anything works in them... LOL

When i popped a pressure line a few winters ago, i was 250km down the lake at the drill site. Only thing we had onhand was a bunch of 15w40 and i was driving my truck back to town that day come hell or high water.

10gal of 15w40 later, i was home with brakes and power steering the whole way. worked like a charm other than filling it up every few miles LOL

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dam ten gallons lol..tht sucks..but yeah mine seems to run better with 15-40 since its thicker it dont leak near as much out the seals..i notice when i park it in my buddies heated shop she likes to peuk it out since the oil is not as thick as it was outside

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm looking a 97 5.9 cummins the guy said it ran fine till he changed the fuel filter and primed it now it won't start he said it needs a injection pump but his not sure what it is m could any one help me figure out what it needs any help would be appreciated thanks for any help

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
I'm looking a 97 5.9 cummins the guy said it ran fine till he changed the fuel filter and primed it now it won't start he said it needs a injection pump but his not sure what it is m could any one help me figure out what it needs any help would be appreciated thanks for any help

A little off from the original post.

Have you cracked any fuel lines to the injectors to bleed the air out and see if you are getting any fuel? Keep priming.

·
Premium Member
12,068 Posts
Engine oil absolutelly should not be used in PS, unless extreme emregency. Yes it may seem to work on a limited basis. The needed additive pachages are very different. JMHO of course. You can use horse wizz if you like, just hope I and no one else is in the path when something failes.

·
Registered
17,610 Posts
Let him keep believing it needs a new p-pump, buy it real cheap, than fix it for about $20. Learn to use the search feature, read the beginner's thread and you will be golden.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts