Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a few of my friends have been ranting about how they are getting 28 mpg and of course rubbing it in because i drive a cummins!!!... they are doing the infamous resistor trick, from what i understand are they just jumpin the map sensor?....isnt this the same thing that a box would do....its a shame that they're doin it because they sound bad enough to begin with but now they shake and lope horribly....but they seem to feel its ok.....opinions?

·
Registered
974 Posts
They drive a ford, who cares? Your truck will be running long after their flowerpoke.:lol3:

·
Registered
203 Posts
wait until they throw a rod and then laugh at them...

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lol this is true, just thought it was funny how they really think its getting them this kind of mileage on stock parts

·
Registered
974 Posts
lol this is true, just thought it was funny how they really think its getting them this kind of mileage on stock parts
Why is it all flowerpoke owners think they know everything about diesel performance?:lol3:

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
ford people... its just the ford mentality. when their trucks make alot of bad noises they turn up the radio so they cant hear it...

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
They will break something sooner or later just wait for it. Ford is an accident waiting to happen as soon as you mess with it.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ford people... its just the ford mentality. when their trucks make alot of bad noises they turn up the radio so they cant hear it...
my dad always told me that when you buy a ford they should sell it with a toolbox filled with tools, and new hood hinges :lol3:

·
Registered
225 Posts
Its just ford people. Not just ford truck people either. I know a bunch of idiots with newer model rust-stangs who think their cars are hot , but cant understand my they never win a race and their cars spend more time in the shop than on the road. Ford hasnt made a decent vehicle since 1969.

·
Premium Member
5,204 Posts
a few of my friends have been ranting about how they are getting 28 mpg and of course rubbing it in because i drive a cummins!!!... they are doing the infamous resistor trick, from what i understand are they just jumpin the map sensor?....isnt this the same thing that a box would do....its a shame that they're doin it because they sound bad enough to begin with but now they shake and lope horribly....but they seem to feel its ok.....opinions?
What PSD engine do they have and how are they calculating that fuel economy. My fathers 2000 7.3 is a great reliable motor but it is pretty thirsty...he gets like high 14s to high 15s usually and cracks 16 from to time on the highway but not much higher....I am not buying it myself.

·
Banned
393 Posts
they are full of it. I bought a 2002 Powerstroke a few years back for a Farrier Rig, and so i could keep the miles of my Cummins. That truck was a money pit. Every Aftermarket part i could get my hands on i threw on that thing, and the best mileage i had seen was around 15 going downhill with a tail wind.

·
Registered
167 Posts
maybe they took them out of the trucks and mounted the engines in a yugo body!

I had a ford guy while I was filling up one day start yappin at me. He was in a service truck and asked how I liked my cummins. Told him would'nt trade it for anything. He laughed and said he had a powerstroke, I told him I would'nt have nothing to do with one.

He said everybody owns a cummins cause they are so easy to work on:)wow: what insite) easy to bomb. I left it at that but thought, why would I buy something just because you have to remove the cab to remove the heads? Or its harder to bomb, build up. He also mentioned something about a fella around here who has a Cummins conversion ford, said he can't do anything with a powerstroke that's why he did the Cummins on his ford. Sounds like a smart man to me.

I just stick to my dodge and don't initiate conversations at the gas pump.

·
Premium Member
2,347 Posts
I dont think that they are getting that kind of mileage. I Have a 4bt in a 1500 and I have a hard time getting that sometimes. That cummins will eat them up any way.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
So bias.... Ford makes a much better truck than dodge IMHO, we just happen to have an AWESOME motor. I love this cummins but my truck just seems to fall apart around it.

Anyways back on topic, theres no way a stroke is getting 28 mpg. Most likely the resisor is fooling their computer and making the over head read 28. Tell them to hand calculate their milage it will be way different........ My 7.3 only gets 11 and my 6.4 gets a constant 7-8 thats both having a trailer full time though.

·
Registered
57 Posts
i say
challenge them to a pull a nd laugh when they're bed falls off.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
lol i alrighty pulled one of them in the 97, ill post a vid.... ones a 97, 99, and a 2000....they swear by the 7.3's.....its a shame cause there all about the ford name loyalty but dont know squat about there PSD

·
Registered
94 Posts
No they are not getting 28 mpg, the resistor will just give them slightly better throttle responce and thats about it. They can get a kinda lopey idle if they mess with resistor values.

·
Banned
393 Posts
I ran against a Ford 250 on the I-540 this morning on my way to work. Truck looked built, but was a little sluggish. I seen him later across from my office wanting to know what was under the hood. I told him a little ol' straight six...the retard didnt believe me, you would figure someone driving a diesel of any kind would know what a Cummins is.

·
Registered
830 Posts
FORD GUYS ARE FUNNY. HERE IS A LINK TO ANOTHER SITE I BELONG TO WHERE A FORD KID ACTUALLY SUGGESTS THAT THE GUY HAVING TROUBLE SHOULD CHECK HIS SPARK PLUGS:thud: oops, caps lock was on:lol3:

Powerstroke help - Refuge Forums

1 - 20 of 58 Posts