Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

What works better for making big power with the least smoke possible, a TST PMCR or a Smarty? Can both be adjusted to produce VERY little smoke and still make 650-700 HP (with twins and supporting mods)? Is one better than the other at keeping very low smoke levels while still making big power?

Thanks for the advice,
Jonathan

·
A Couple Diesels
3,099 Posts
Alot of variables- injectors/ spool of twins and tuning + it all depends on how you drive it....lug it and it will ofcourse smoke.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
193 Posts
Alot of the big horsepower trucks you see clear up very well in the top end. Of course they smoke until the turbo(s) light. The only reason the Banks "smokeless" s-10 drag truck doesnt smoke is because that truck is fed tons of nitrous to get the turbos to spool instantly, and runs extremely high rail pressures. You will smoke until the turbos are spooled. Plain and simple. Some tuners/boxes smoke more than others, but to get 700 hp it will smoke like a freight train until the charger lights.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice.

How can you limit off boost fueling? Which tuner will allow for the most control when it comes to keeping smoke levels down before boost builds? The tuner will be used with a fast spooling set of twins(probably stock over s400 variant). My main concern is limiting smoke while driving in the city with brisk acceleration, but would like to limit smoke at WOT on the drag strip as well.

In short, is there one tuner better than the other at controlling fueling and therefore smoke? I have heard that the TST is better a keeping smoke levels low...can anyone confirm this?

Thanks again!

·
Northern CA Chapter President
3,325 Posts
Alot of the big horsepower trucks you see clear up very well in the top end. Of course they smoke until the turbo(s) light. The only reason the Banks "smokeless" s-10 drag truck doesnt smoke is because that truck is fed tons of nitrous to get the turbos to spool instantly, and runs extremely high rail pressures. You will smoke until the turbos are spooled. Plain and simple. Some tuners/boxes smoke more than others, but to get 700 hp it will smoke like a freight train until the charger lights.

actually i believe its cng. not nitrous.

edit: hey just noticed your from cottonwood. been to that town a couple times for quad races.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Thanks for the advice.

How can you limit off boost fueling? Which tuner will allow for the most control when it comes to keeping smoke levels down before boost builds? The tuner will be used with a fast spooling set of twins(probably stock over s400 variant). My main concern is limiting smoke while driving in the city with brisk acceleration, but would like to limit smoke at WOT on the drag strip as well.

In short, is there one tuner better than the other at controlling fueling and therefore smoke? I have heard that the TST is better a keeping smoke levels low...can anyone confirm this?

Thanks again!
Not really a better option. If the truck has injectors and a tuner of any type it is going to smoke a lot until the turbo(s) light. I have no personal experience with the TST but i know that smarty smokes like crazy unless your running a low standard revo tune.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Banks sidewinder is nitrous assisted not cng and it only gets up to 26,000psi rail pressure just like our trucks. Huge horsepower CAN be achieved with little smoke. Just ask Erick Brown. He made a 11.01 second 1/4 with almost no smoke (938 horsepower at the wheels). Many factors come into play here, tuning, turbos, torque converter stall, and even the right air intake and large exhaust. Also good injectors and a fass fuel system help too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Banks sidewinder is nitrous assisted not cng and it only gets up to 26,000psi rail pressure just like our trucks. Huge horsepower CAN be achieved with little smoke. Just ask Erick Brown. He made a 11.01 second 1/4 with almost no smoke (938 horsepower at the wheels). Many factors come into play here, tuning, turbos, torque converter stall, and even the right air intake and large exhaust. Also good injectors and a fass fuel system help too.
I want to hear more of this! Surely with all the advances made in diesel performance, you can achieve very manageable smoke levels with big power.

Any experiences with the TST?

·
Registered
590 Posts
Almost no smoke after the turbo's light, yes. but if he pulled up to a stop light and stomped on it without building boost it would dump smoke like crazy till the turbos come alive. same with the sidewinder they spray it from the start to get the turbos lit to blow out smoke. My truck has zero smoke after the turbo is lit. From launch to end of track I have zero smoke, but building boost at the line is a different story.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I want to hear more of this! Surely with all the advances made in diesel performance, you can achieve very manageable smoke levels with big power.

Any experiences with the TST?
Not personally, but Erick Brown used it when he made that pass. However, I think he has switched to smarty tnt/r. He has quite a bit of head work done though which is expensive, but effective in reducing smoke. His username is chrleb1, and I'm sure he would answer any of your questions. Also, I will most likely be using water/methanol and CNG injection to help with fuel economy and cheaper BTUs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts