Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
pulling a 48ft enclosed trailer. have the #6 plate in stock location. never have moved the star wheel. pulls great and mpg are good, but looking for more. trailer loaded 17k. auto trany had VB and TC upgrade. truck has just a wisp of smoke when i put my foot in it. looking to make more mpg and keep the power or make more so if i move the plate or star wheel up, will that help mileage or get worse?? thanks guys!

·
Registered
349 Posts
What are your gauges reading? What is boost and EGT's when pulling the load?

First install a BHAF, then a 4 inch exhaust.
Slide the fuel plate forward then adjust the AFC and the star wheel to control preboost fuel and smoke. But if you do not have gauges get them first!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
egts are 900-1100 give or take, on ramps in get warm but i take my foot out of it..and just have egt, and trany gauges. boost is the next one...thanks

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
The only mod I've heard that really adds 1-2 mpg is bumping the timing to 15.5* to 16*. This will add a hair more power. The only other factor in mpg is the skinny pedal on the right. The more the right foot depresses, the more the mph depresses. Moving plate forward only affects WOT, which when towing you will have to be careful due to EGT temps. I use my boost gauge as a mpg gauge, the higher it goes the lower mpg goes. It's a good gauge to determine how much strain the engine is in. While towing if I keep it below 10lbs then mpg will stay around 14.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
right now iam getting 22mpg no trailer and 11mpg with trailer, at 65. if you slow down it gets better, so truck had 215/85/16 and the speedo was 3mph slow. was time for new tires so i went to 235s, yesterday. truck has 210k and the guy at the tire store said to take it and have the injectors cleaned, and i would gain some and truck run better, any truth to that?? know when i put a bottle of boost in the truck it runs a lot better!! but at $10 at tank i really dont know if your saving any money on mileage...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts