Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
did they come out with power and heated towing mirrors for the 2nd gens?

·
Not like the others......
4,190 Posts
No, but there is a company called Kool-Vue that makes an aftermarket power/heated tow mirror for the 2nd gens. I just put a set on my truck yesterday.

You can also buy a set of p/h mirrors from a 3rd gen and swap the arms onto the 2nd gen base.

For the price of the Kool-Vues, I would just go that route, only thing is, they are kinda hard to find since everyone wants them. I bought mine on Ebay.

·
Registered
658 Posts
No, but there is a company called Kool-Vue that makes an aftermarket power/heated tow mirror for the 2nd gens. I just put a set on my truck yesterday.

You can also buy a set of p/h mirrors from a 3rd gen and swap the arms onto the 2nd gen base.

For the price of the Kool-Vues, I would just go that route, only thing is, they are kinda hard to find since everyone wants them. I bought mine on Ebay.
:agree2: What he sez.

·
4,190 Posts
BTW, I think that'll only work with the tow mirrors from the 03-05 trucks.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
They are hard to find,im still looking for them

·
Registered
33 Posts
you can go to ebay and find the mirrors already put together and ready to install. am-autoparts is the name were i got mine, im pretty sure. i dont recomend doin the swap urself. somwhat a pain, very hard to find Right parts, have to cut wireing harness. u can order the mirrors straight from ebay. U MUST ORDER THE CORRECT YEAR FOR UR TRK THO. they are on there. it wont look like it but they will b in the mix of all the others.

·
Ontario Chapter President
2,489 Posts

·
hydraulic lifter crew
12,566 Posts
you can go to cipausa.com and get a set of theirs.
they also have power and heat options.
thats what i have.

·
Registered
349 Posts
One thing I am not seeing. With the kool vue ones, does it come with wiring? For example I have stock towing mirrors on my 01, but no power obviously, does ti come with a harness, or is this for people who already have power and heated stock mirrors, you just swap them and plug and play?

·
2,489 Posts
One thing I am not seeing. With the kool vue ones, does it come with wiring? For example I have stock towing mirrors on my 01, but no power obviously, does ti come with a harness, or is this for people who already have power and heated stock mirrors, you just swap them and plug and play?
I have the power heated and from what I was told it's unplug the connection from the old mirrors and plug it into the new mirrors. That store was out of stock till next Tuesday, I'll be getting them then. :thumbsup

·
4,190 Posts
I had the non power towing mirrors on my 02. Once I got the door panels loose and looked down in there, there was the plug for the mirror control and a plug on both sides (left and right door) to plug the mirrors in.
I didn't even take the door panels off.
I removed the screw at the top/front of the door panel and pulled the top 2 push-ins loose that hold the door panel on in the front. That gives you enough room to unbolt the old mirrors and bolt the new ones on and hook up the wiring connectors.
I bought a used mirror switch off of Ebay for 18.00 and plugged it in and I was all done. I'll pick up a used HVAC control sometime this summer to run the heated part of the mirrors. Took about an hour by myself.
If you do not already have towing mirrors, you will need to buy the support/backing plate that goes on the inside of the door.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Support backing plates?

Where did you or do I find these, I just ordered a set of the Kool-Vue mirrors, but I didnt know I needed extra plates

·
2,489 Posts

·
2,489 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
great qusetion ill have to give them a call..

·
2,489 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
I had the non power towing mirrors on my 02. Once I got the door panels loose and looked down in there, there was the plug for the mirror control and a plug on both sides (left and right door) to plug the mirrors in.
I didn't even take the door panels off.
I removed the screw at the top/front of the door panel and pulled the top 2 push-ins loose that hold the door panel on in the front. That gives you enough room to unbolt the old mirrors and bolt the new ones on and hook up the wiring connectors.
I bought a used mirror switch off of Ebay for 18.00 and plugged it in and I was all done. I'll pick up a used HVAC control sometime this summer to run the heated part of the mirrors. Took about an hour by myself.
If you do not already have towing mirrors, you will need to buy the support/backing plate that goes on the inside of the door.

Wow, thanks for that info. That saves a huge headache. I assume once you got the switch and mirrors all plugged in everything worked flawlessly?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts