Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive got a '96 4x4 ex cab auto. Its my first oil burner but it really seamed slugish to me, especially in od. Its mainly stock except for drilled airbox and stock strait pipe with a stack. Well, I cranked starwheel and slid afc/fuel plate and adjusted my valves a few weeks ago. Now, it really hauls balls in overdrive and even blows a bit of smoke when i accelerate in 4th, but I dont feel a bit of change in the first three gears. As Ive stated before, I dont want to race or even hotrod at all, I just want real good power through all gears. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

· Registered
1,837 Posts
Probably need a torque converter and a shift kit to see the most out of the engine.

· Premium Member
12,495 Posts
You have more power you just can't feel it because the tranny is slipping.
It won't be long and you'll be needing a rebuilt tranny.

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea, I think my trans mounts bad causing me to lose a cooling line two different times pumping all my fluid out on the pavement. Im surprised its still going at all and have seen a rebuild in my near future for a while. I was looking at these converters Hughes Performance 15-LTOW - Hughes Performance Tow Master Series Torque Converters - Overview - SummitRacing.com
and leaning more towardhttp://www.summitracing.com/parts/HUP-15LXFM/
and a transgo shift kit with a basically stock rebuild. Are these good parts? And, Im only gonna be pulling 5k at the most and am probably gonna tone down my fuel mods a little cause its more than I actually need. Could I get by without a billet input shaft? Thanks for any and all help.

· Registered
87 Posts
You have more power you just can't feel it because the tranny is slipping.
It won't be long and you'll be needing a rebuilt tranny.
I agree my 97 was the same way. Especially after I started messing with stuff now its to the point that it wont get out of its own way...hence the nv4500 swap I'm doing :party018:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.