Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

power steering

545 Views 4 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  countrymanlife
Hey folks,

New to the forum and to these Dodge pickups and have a question about power steering modifications.

I searched around for steering threads and found some on this and that but none on modifying the power steering systems in these pigs to get better pressure.

I did find a thread on a supposed "swap" to an 03 or a chev box and that is striking my interest as I know the chev boxes are pressure regulated and have REALLY good steering assist.

I'm up for whatever to get better power steering and I'm wonderin if you fella's/gals have ever messed with different weight/type fluid in your pumps? My old Ford really benefited from a fluid flush and swap to a thicker oil and I'm wondering if this wouldn't do the same?

I have flushed it (properly,) and I'm still unsatisfied. Yes, ball-joints and other steering components are freshly replaced and the truck has 94K miles and it's an '01 4x4 w/stock tires.

Thank you in advance!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
814 Posts
Can't help you but when I was changing my starter 2 weeks ago, I noticed my pump was leaking bad, so I would like to know as well. As soon as I fix something, another thing breaks. One part every week is about normal lately. starter, evaporator, lift pump, sending unit, brakes, now power steering pump. Next week???

· Registered
1,216 Posts
do not go over to AGR... there is a member totalloser. look him up. The sad thing is that there just isnt much out there to help. I been dealing with PSC for a year now. The guys basically said they give up on 2nd gen dodges. I am in the process of having them tap my gearbox to switch over to Hydraulic assist. But as totalloser stated swaping out the pump for a PSC hi flow one helps alot. (as a side note...apparently a too good working hydrobooster unit will rob pressure from the pump)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.