Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1990 W 250. Just finishing replacing the stub shaft seal on the steering box. About to flush and fill the ps system. Can I use ATF? if so, which one? Or should I use power steering fluid specifically?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,204 Posts
When my power steering fluid ran low I just ran down to advance auto and picked up a quart of power steering fluid.

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
I would stick with PS fluid. It is designed for that applicaiton, and when you start mixing different types sometimes you get jelly.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.

So bought some ps fluid and flushed the system. Pretty easy in fact. I just cracked open the hydraulic return line on the steering box just enough so the fluid was pouring out at a fair rate. I opened the PS reservoir and just re-filled it progressively as the fluid drained out. I ran about 3 quarts through it. Best to do this from the return line, as you can be certain that fresh fluid is being circulated through the steering gear. I also turned the steering wheel back and forth often during this process. Whole job took only about 15 minutes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts