Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so apparently my Power Steering has been leaking for awhile and I never noticed. During my last oil change, I went through all fluids and ran across the oily/dirty connections on the return lines. Checked the cap and it was well below add. The fluid inside looked slightly frothy and almost brown. Not ATF red. The previous owner does not remember if the pump has been changed or what fluid was in it to begin with...

I never noticed a problem with the pump; she's always turned like nothing, no squealing, etc. I'm going to replace the leaky lines right away and do a flush, but should I be replacing the pump too? Heard that if I lose my power steering with hydroboost equipped, I'll lose my brakes too. Makes me want to just do it, but I wanted to get your guys' opinion on it.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I have added fluid to mine a few times and noticed at least one of the hoses leaking. Brown doesn't seem right, and mine is. The new fluid is clear.
I noticed unless the truck is moving, the wheel will not turn. The truck has to be moving. That's when I notice it may need fluid.
You should at least change the hose and fluid. It may take a few changes to get all the old out. Hope you have a garage... you are north of me and I'm in DE. Its a balmy 14F here. Seems like I never think about it until it's below freezing, snowing and blowing and my plow is on.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Haha yeah I was just painting the other day :p its been nice here. I'll do the hose switch and hope the pump doesn't die then

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's what I pointed out in my initial thread. P/S fluid isn't exactly that color either though :S what would cause that?

·
Registered
574 Posts
I would draw as much as possible with one of these and fill and cycle and repeat it several times until it seems fully flushed.
I would do it like this to avoid getting air in the system or running the pump dry since you say everything is working good. my steering pump has failed twice now and i would suggest not taking the chance of ruining the OEM one. and only ATF+4

1 - 7 of 7 Posts