Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm wondering what sort of pressure these power steering pumps deliver to the steering box? I'm doing a Fummins swap, so I need to figure out what sort of pressure these things make and see if it is going to be sufficient or need to be dialed back.

Thanks!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump!

Anyone know the pressures these pumps put out to the box?

·
Registered
199 Posts
I honestly don't know the pressure, but it is quite a bit. Can you really turn down the pump? I didn't think you could.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I don't know about these pumps specifically, hence the question, but with most pumps you can shim them internally and achieve different pressures.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
What you're setting when you add or remove shims is the pressure relief valve. All this does is determine the point at which it will bleed off oil when the load gets too heavy. In a power steering system generally the only time you will do that is when you crank the wheels to the end of their travel and hold it there. That groaning you hear when you do that, that's the relief valve bleeding off. During normal operation you never reach that relief pressure.

More important in matching pumps is volume, gallon per minute flow, not relief pressure. This is what is going to give the system the proper feel and actuation.

Having said all that, pumps don't vary much from application to application in terms of volume. You should be okay.

Steve g

1 - 5 of 5 Posts