Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my truck eats PS pumps like candy, and today it went out again! I was within a block of one of the best steering and alignment shops in town luckily...Old pump NAPA lifetime in and out in 2 hrs with a new hose and a few new clamps...$197. Down the road. I stop to pick up materials about 30 miles up the road and sure the heck I see fluid dripping from under the fron end...what the heck. Drive it back to the shop and come to find out its engine oil...The vacuum pump rear seal is leaking like crazy...They said if you call chrysler they will sell you a whole new vacc. pump for like $2700, but they have a source to get a new seal for $112 bucks. They are cutting me a deal on labor-thank god but be aware if you put in a new ps pump this seal should be replaced at the same time so you dont have luck like me. Chrysler PN: 5140342AA. Going to do some more homework right now on this pn, but just a heads up to all.

·
Registered
849 Posts
most part stores sell the seal for under 20 bucks there is a website that sells parts for the vacuum pump cant remember the name

·
Banned
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
see, I kind of thought it was weird...I just don't see why they don't tell you to replace it is long as you are going to be in there, well I know why $$$.

·
Registered
604 Posts
If you want a good kit to fix your vacuum pump, get it from FIXINRAMS.COM
Awesome kit, has instructions and the tools as well if you are doing it yourself. Also has enough to do the repair twice if you bugger it up the first time.

·
Rescue Tower
10,826 Posts
Awsome company. I've been looking for this for a while. Bookmarked now! Thanks!

·
Registered
849 Posts
thats the website i was talking about i can never remember the name of that place for some reason

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
cummins sells the same kit, it was like 18$ or something like that, comes with instructions...even has pictures, by the way it takes 15mins to remove the pump, if you remove it as an assembly, and unhook the high pressure lines up near the hydroboost instead of trying to unhook them near the ps pump, unhooking them there is difficult and likely you will strip the fittings, seperate the assy on the bench, use large sockets that you may have in the tool box to push the seals in and out, very simple procedure.

·
Registered
623 Posts
the cummins kit is NOT the same, the fixnrams kit has a double lip seal, with the cummins kit you get a single lip that goes right on the groove that was previously worn into the pump shaft by the old seal:doh: just resealed mine about a week ago, holding up great so far:thumbsup:

·
Banned
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i just picked up the kit from cummins for $9.86 today! the picture on fixinrams website is the exact kit i got. the single vs double lip seal has me confused. if it came in the kit i think i will use it, as the stock one got me 240k+.

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
My seal from cummins was a DOUBLE lipped seal, I think orginally they might have been single lipped seals, Big red, make sure you install the seal in the correct direction as once the parts are all dissambled it can be confusing as to which way the seal should face, the open side of the seal faces the vacuum pump and the flat face faces the PS pump, good rule of thumb is to remember that the "open" side of the seal always faces the side of a component that has pressure or oil on it, if its installed backwards the oil will pass straight thru the seal, installed correctly the "oil/pressure" tightens the seal lips on the shaft (sounds naughty huh)

Reactions: tncool

·
Banned
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanx nickg. talkin naughty on a cummins site...miss a few letters and that could spell disaster...

·
Banned
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
just looked, its a double lipped seal...let's see $9.86 cummins vs $112 dodge. How is it that dodge cant make things work? Damn unions and stupid president...with that kind of mark up they should be able to make enough money in one day off parts alone to stay in business...I wonder how much Fiat parts will cost?

·
Registered
234 Posts
i am probably get the kit from cummins but I wanted to know if I need any special tools. I have a basic set of tools. I'm just wondering if I should order the fixitdodge kit so I'm not stuck with the VP out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
MY PS unit is leaking like sieve, can it be rebuilt or do I need a new one, and would it be advisable to go ahead and get the vacuum pump kit? 96 25oo w/ cummins of course. Thanks to all.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts