Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
5,648 Posts
ONLY when the engine is running, My advice is to get the vacuum pump seal kit from cummins (around 10-15$) and do it while you have the pump out, its only a matter of time before it fails, also it is possible that the shaft or coupler the connects the vacuum pump to the powersteering pump is broke, if you have no powersteering or brakes (you never explained your symptoms)

also I found the easiest way to remove the PS pump is to pull the PS and Vacuum pumps together, and unhook the high pressure lines up near the hydroboost instead of unhooking them from the back of the PS pump as there is no room to swing wrenches down there and likely you will strip the fittings anyway.
Once the return lines are unhooked from the PS and the High pressure lines unhooked near the hydroboost, you can unhook the oil feed line that goes into the vacuum pump, then there are a couple of bolts and a bracket that hooks to the block and the 2 bolts that hold the vacuum pump to the timing cover, once thats all done you can pull the PS &Vacuum pumps out, the gear will sould loose inside the timing cover but dont worry it cant "jump out of time" replace the PS pump and repair the Vacuum pump while its out on the bench, bolt it all back together and put it back in as an assy. I found its too much of a pain to try to line up the PS pump while the vacuum pump is in the truck, could take hours! It took me 15mins to have the two pumps out and on the bench the second time I did it

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey thanks alot Nick, I was on vacation about 2 hrs into the trip when I heard the power steering whining so I stopped and put some fluid in it got back in the truck and had no power steering and very little brake and that was if I stood on the brake.Where did you order the vacum pump kit from? Thanks for all the help....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.