Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, needing some help diagnosing a power steering issue. So last night I put the truck up on stands and followed the procedure for flushing the pump, ended up running a gallon through the system before topping off. Followed the FSM and everything went fine, even drove the truck 90 miles to get home.

This is where the issues start, I went out this morning to start the truck and as soon as I did, the pump started to groan without even touching the steering wheel. So I immediately shut the truck down, double checked fluid and seen I was a little low, figured it must of purged some air or something so I topped the fluid off to the full cold line. Started the truck again and now I have zero power steering, the pump is not even making any noise.

So this is where I'm stumped. Is the system vapor locked or something? The fluid I used was Prestone power steering fluid (not the leak stop mix). There are also no leaks present so I didn't lose any fluid. Any help would be greatly appreciated, really need to get her up and running again.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Normal.
ck the fluid level, fire it up drive it around the block to get the air out
people make too big a deal about it.
check your fluid level again.
its Ok if it moans for a minute or two.

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
is it cold out?
if so, replace the "normal" PS with a synthetic PS fluid, it works way better in the cold, eliminates moaning and puking fluid out of the reservoir.

if the PS fluid was cold (think like molasses , yes I know that's an extreme comparison) the pump cant pressurize it so it aerates the fluid which results in moaning and loss of power steering

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Thats an good point, mine always sings to me. When cold.
However in the OP case I think he just needs needs to make sure full and run it around the block to purge the air or jack the front axle up start it and turn the wheel left and right.
I grauntee it will be fixed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thumper nailed it. Put the truck up on stands, turned wheel lock to lock 20 times, filled fluid to level, works like a champ now. Just got a little concerned since I had just done the flush, figured that was my luck the pump would go out shortly after. Not to say the cold may not be an issue, we currently have 12°F outside and supposed to be that way the rest of the week. Thanks again for the prompt responses guys

1 - 6 of 6 Posts