Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Power steering problem

780 Views 6 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  dunl
Saw a puddle under my truck , popped the hood and seen the power steering unit all wet like the cap was leaking. Reached down to take the cap off, turned it and it popped off and fluid sprayed everywhere. Took it to the dealer and they said they tightened a hose. What a bunch of bs that sounds like. I don't know how the brakes and the steering is linked but i do remember slamming hard on the brakes last time i drove it. Input would be nice. Thanks
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Premium Member
10,324 Posts
Since turbo diesels make no vacuum the is nothing to vacuum assist the brakes with, so our trucks us hydraulic power from the power steering to assist the brakes.

As far as the hose, can't help you.

· Banned
140 Posts
I had a very similar situation.
Found a leak on the ground and it turned out to be coming from the top of the steering box. When I opened the power steering cap it also popped at me but no fluid came out as it was low.

I just installed a rebuilt steering box from Napa with a lift time warranty for under $200. It was a easy job once you get the pitman arm off the box.

· Registered
280 Posts
I have heard that you can clean the vent hole on the cap. If it is plugged that it will "pop off" when you unscrew it. This pressure will cause it to leak?

I tryed it on mine last night so we'll see????

· Registered
77 Posts
I had leaking PS box so when i went to put fluid into reservoir it popped no spray because i was really low

· Registered
62 Posts
I had a very similar situation.
Found a leak on the ground and it turned out to be coming from the top of the steering box. When I opened the power steering cap it also popped at me but no fluid came out as it was low.

I just installed a rebuilt steering box from Napa with a lift time warranty for under $200. It was a easy job once you get the pitman arm off the box.

Up here in Alberta, Canada, the box is $370 with a core charge of $315.

The reseal kit is $52. Hmmm....wonder which I will go with. :banghead:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.