Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced power steering pump, have flushed 6 quarts of fluid through, rotated lock to lock several times then shut off and let set at each lock for 10 minutes. I still have no power steering or brakes at all. Every thing was working fine before change, just had oil leak and noticed wear on shaft cogs, thus the change. I am wondering if I might have gotten a faulty pump.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Even a little air can be a pain to get out! I thought I remember someone having this problem and they didn't get the little coupler back together right so the pump wasn't even turning. Not sure how that's possible but just an idea. I usually jack the front end up while turning lock to lock and then holding at the lock for a few seconds to work the relief valve. Even doing it this way it may take twenty or thirty times to get that air bubble out! Good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I saw where someone said they had that problem too. I was really careful to line up coupling and sure to tighten pump till it was completely seated so I'm sure that's not it. Also while flushing fluid is actually being pumped out of the return line. I realize that means the pump is working to some extent but not necessarily at the proper pressure.

·
Registered
963 Posts
The brakes and power steering work off the same pump.So try turning lock to lock and pumping the brakes. That should get all the air out.

·
Premium Member
12,068 Posts
This is my regular post on servicing the PS fluid. There may be a hint in this to assist. The rest of the story:
Yes I have seen my share of steering/braking issues. Problem is the fluid eventually dies.
First secure a gallon of Valvoline Blue Power Steering fluid. I find at some parts stores and some tractor supply stores for 13=16 dollars or so.
To purge. there are two return lines to reservoir. Disconnect both and cap the nipples on reservoir. Now route the return hoses into a catch can. Fill the reservoir with new fluid. Start engine an run no more the 4 seconds. The fluid will be purged into the catch can. Do not run longer as you must not run the pump dry.
refill and purge again, alternately pressing brakes and turning steering wheel. This purges fluid stored in steering and brake components. It will take several attempts and apporx 1/2 gallon of PS fluid.You will know it's complete when fluid is same as what you are putting in. Reconnect return lines and fill again. At this time it is best to have front tires off ground. Start engine and run for approx 15 seconds while alternately turning wheel or lightly applying brakes. Shut down and let it set for 15-30 minutes. This is necessary to allow aeration of fluid to dissipate. Carefully refill and repeat until the fluid in reservoir is not aerated.
If you got the system air locked, it will be necessary to loosen a PRESSURE line from pump and rev engine slightly to get pump working again. I have also found it necessary to use at least 1/2 bottle of LUBE GUARD Power Steering additive available from NAPA dealer. Do not overfill. Road test and recheck fluid level. One time it took nearly 100 miles to get air out of system. Make no subsutations.
If your system does not have a cooler for PS, I recommend one. I cannot guarantee this fixes all issues but has resolved many high mileage units that were diagnosed as needing a PS pump.
Hope this is informative,
dozer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, thanks for the input, but in the end it was a faulty pump. I took the one I had just gotten, back to the parts store for another replacement. Only had to flush a couple of quarts of fluid and could already tell it was working better. Steering and brakes were working as soon as the truck was running. Went ahead and turned lock to lock to be sure system was purged, but like I said was already working.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts