Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, wasn't seeing much of anyting with the 2 stroke oil. So I picked up some Power Service (silver bottle) and added the appropriate amount with my fill up. Now, I don't know if that's what did it, but my mileage went up about 1-1.5 mpg with this stuff!

Question is.....How often do you reccomend using this stuff? Every tank full? Or what?

Thanks!!:thumbsup

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I have run PS in almost every tank for 80,000 miles.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
You need to sit down and find out the cost of the PS and how much extra mpg it gives you to know if its cost effective to use in every tank. Also experiment to see if you can get by using it every other tank and still get the better fuel mileage. IIRC you only need about 9.5 oz per 30 gallons of diesel so if you only add 23 gallons at each fill up then you need to cut back the amount you add to your tank.

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
I would also consider the fact that the 2 cycle oil may have reduced your MPG, so the increase you are seeing now may be attributed to not adding the 2-cycle as opposed to adding the PS.

The 2-cylce oil does seem to help the longevity of the VP44 pumps, but, the results of adding 2-cycle to an HPCR engine are mixed as far as economy and really of no real value as far as lubricity.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I use the the white bottle in winter and the silver one in summer, I use it on every tank, have from day one, 45,000 now, and have always got great mileage.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dad, that's a possibility! That I'm seeing the jump because the 2 stroke lowered it and now the PS brought it back up. I'll try it without awhile and see what it does. Then just go from there. I was maily just wondering about how often was it safe to use the PS. Guess it looks like whenever I feel I wasnt too!! Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Dad, that's a possibility! That I'm seeing the jump because the 2 stroke lowered it and now the PS brought it back up. I'll try it without awhile and see what it does. Then just go from there. I was maily just wondering about how often was it safe to use the PS. Guess it looks like whenever I feel I wasnt too!! Thanks guys!
I was going to say, you will need more than one tank to accurately see how much of a gain it gives you.

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,292 Posts
I'm one of the 2 cycle oil guru's here I'm not having any problems with 2 cycle oil... As a matter of fact I'm up to 23.4 MPG with 2 cycle oil in my fuel...

Here is my fuel logs...
2002 Cummins

Then here is some pics of today's trip...

Take notice to my trip 272.0 miles and I burn a little more than a 1/4 tank...:thud:(Take notice the Edge Comp is on 5x5 too!)

MPG = Instant MPG Reading
MPH = Miles per Hour (Speed)
Cmg = Today's MPG Reading
Tmg = Total MPG for the tank.

Trust me 2 cycle oil will NOT degrade you fuel mileage... I'm still running 128:1 ratio and getting 21-23 MPG... :w:

·
Registered
565 Posts
I run both PS and 2 stroke, usually 10oz of PS and 26oz of 2 stroke per fill of 26 gallons of fuel. My last tank i had 445 miles, towing my trailer 30 of them in the foothills.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
I run white PS all year, I run it every tank, but that's because i'm trying to make up for the ULSD in my 2nd gen.

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,292 Posts
I run white PS all year, I run it every tank, but that's because i'm trying to make up for the ULSD in my 2nd gen.
Not going to happen PS didn't pass the HFRR testing done by DieselPlace.com

2 Cycle oil did though...

Anything over 520 HFRR is a failing grade!:thud:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts