Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've got an '01 with a 47RE and I'm wondering if my tranny is acting as as it should. When I do a wide open acceleration run (Edge on 5/5) it almost feels like the tranny is a constant variable tranny as the RPMs don't really move a whole heck of a lot. RPM will hang near 2800-3000 and move up a bit before upshifting and then return again.

I realize that more power will raise a converter's stall speed. I'm just not sure if my converter is slipping a whole bunch of it's just designed to be really loose. BTW, I realize the tranny is weak and costly upgrades are in the plan. What I'm wondering about is how much horsepower or torque will make the converter slip and never truly "grab"?

Thanks,
Tommy

· Registered
173 Posts
lol, well I had a superchips and 100hp sticks and that slips real good, with the superships on level one it didn't slip so i guess about 130-150 extra hp would kill the TC.

· Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess I could always just put it on the stock setting, observe the RPMs on a 0-60 run and then put it on "5" and see how it compares to see how much more it's slipping.

Tommy

· ......................... .....
2,703 Posts
I ran 496hp with just a valve body on a stock 47re. But I think it was a freak.

In all honesty, much over 350hp is flirting with slippage.
i gotta admit, my 47re is still going strong. and as far as i know its 100% stock.

and im definatly making enough power to break it. im sure once i get the head studs done and put the bigger sticks in, i can say ta-ta

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.