Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I plan to get a dodge cummins, i have a 1500 ram with the 5.9 gas engine....

how many hp can i get out from a 5.9 cummins or from a 6.7 cummins with plug and play parts. I dont wanna make a big rebuilt !!!! But i saw from turbonetics some upgrade turbos. For howmany hp are those turbos good? and howmany hp can i get without modining the fuelsystem??

I had a full rebuilt Toyota Supra with 500+ hp. But i have absolutly no idea with diesel stuff......

Regards from switzerland: Breth

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
:welcome: With a 6.7 you can get BIG power with just a few mods. I don't know how strict your country is on emissions but that will be a big factor. Plug and play modules can produce big power. You just need to look on this site at all of the threads and study which one will be best for you. If you get a diesel you won't want another gasser!!! :thumbsup

·
Registered
190 Posts
I imagine Switzerland must be fairly strict on emissions. I would be cautious here and do your homework before you make any sort of move.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Hi!

I plan to get a dodge cummins, i have a 1500 ram with the 5.9 gas engine....

how many hp can i get out from a 5.9 cummins or from a 6.7 cummins with plug and play parts. I dont wanna make a big rebuilt !!!! But i saw from turbonetics some upgrade turbos. For howmany hp are those turbos good? and howmany hp can i get without modining the fuelsystem??

I had a full rebuilt Toyota Supra with 500+ hp. But i have absolutly no idea with diesel stuff......

Regards from switzerland: Breth

Personally I am a 5.9 fan and love them all.
Turbonetics Turbos are probably some of the best bolt on turbos right now in my opinion i have one with my twin setup and i am amazed from the power it gives me

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The emission Stuff is preety hard here in switzerland, we have "euro-3", thats a hard law! Those movis i saw on youtube with those big black clouds outcomming from the exhaust is a absolutli "no-go" in switzerland. Thats why i was asking about "only little work" and plug and play stuff.

So the thing is: Can i pull out around 450hp with the 6.7 only with electronics (piggy-pac, or boostcontroller, etc.). Or did i have to do some mechanical fuel stuff (injectors, pumps, etc.).
My plan is to let the exhaust oem, let the fuel system oem. Do more boost with electronis and maybe put a bigger turbo on it.

Breth

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,055 Posts
You wont be able to push that much power without upgrading the Exhaust and removing some of the emmisions. The good thing is the 6.7 doesnt smoke like the 5.9s even modified. With my setup i get a little smoke with everything cranked but not bad. It will not pass an emissions test.

·
Registered
381 Posts
currently there are no easy upgrades to the VGT turbo on the 6.7L and with the euro emissions laws you're probably better off keeping the turbo stock anyway. you should be able to hit around 400+ hp with exhaust & egr delete, intake, & programmer(s). a aftermarket fuel pump/filter (like a FASS or AirDog) would help out and keep things clean & happy also (specially on the top end). a few on this site are running bigger injectors - but it's not known how much they truly help.

How regularly do you have to go in for emissions inspections? assuming it's not more than once a year - it might be worth your while to go the DPF delete route and put the truck back to stock for inspections. Kind of a pain - but maybe the only way to have decent HP.

another good bolt-on might be a water/meth kit (like from snow performance). I don't speak from experience - but I guess that might help reduce any smoke. (someone else chime in if you know more about that). I guess nitrous might also help - just a thought...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts