Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, I've heard some guys talking about the diablosport power puck killing IP's and/or ECM's. any truth to this? I had mine on the truck for about 2 months. then I change my fuel filter, and all the sudden no power to the LP, and getting the 0216 and 1689 codes. all my grounds and relays, fuses all check out 100%. so I'm guessing I fried the IP. my power has been down what feels like 25-35%, and I've lost 2 mpg.... any ideas?

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
do you have an aftermarket lift pump? guages?

·
Registered
634 Posts
Had one for 3 years. With no problems. Since then in the last 2 years I have upgraded to what's in my Sig. Still no problems. Ur ip was probably on its way out. Never herd of a puck messing anything up.

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
Cant say that it would be the cause of a VP failure,

the 0216 is that the VP cant achieve its desired timing, this can also appear should there be air in the fuel, so a bad LP can cause this as well, Typically a 0216 indicates a wore out VP (mechanically) I believe the 1698 can be caused by a faulty relay, I believe a 1688 and 1698 are a fried VP(and will not start),

if you have a stock LP, it was likely dead or dying.

as far as I know the power puck (like EZ) manulipate the signal to the VP AFTER it has left the ECM, cant say I have heard of them being the cause of a ECM/VP failure. Have heard the P puck fails and causes drivability issues and as soon as you unhook it the issues dissappear

maybe some others will chime in

mileage loss is the norm when fuel stations switch to winter fuel,

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no guages or aftermarket LP yet. as soon as the tax money comes in, I'm going with the airdog 150 with 1/2 line and straw. and a fuel pressure gauge. I do have a brand new carter pump on it. but I had to wire the LP on a toggle, because for whatever reason it's not getting power to the LP. I wanted to work out exactly why the LP isnt getting power. I dont mind buying a new VP...the truck has just over 200k on it, so I expected that. but I dont want to buy a VP, just to find out I didnt need one THIS week. LOL and just FYI, the LP stopped getting power at the same time I replaced the fuel filter. seems ironic to me....... I only figured it out because I bumped it to prime the filter housing, and wasnt getting ANYTHING... the truck was running fantastic before. didnt feel down on power at all. then I change the filter and the freakin thing wouldnt start.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
If you've read anything on the forums, take the puck off until you can get a mechanical fuel pump, air dog, or fass, then gauges that include fuel pressure, boost, pyro, and trans temp if you have an auto. THEN you get the power adders.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok. i will get an airdog and gauge headed this way tomorrow. is there any way that a low pressure LP could be throwing the codes i have? and I still have yet to solve why the LP is not getting power...

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
ok. i will get an airdog and gauge headed this way tomorrow. is there any way that a low pressure LP could be throwing the codes i have? and I still have yet to solve why the LP is not getting power...
how exactly are you checking for power? do you know you only have a 20second window after "bumping" the starter?

as I mentioned above a failing LP/Starving VP can cause a 0216, best to clear the codes and see what comes back

·
Registered
73 Posts
How do you know it wasnt getting power untill you changed the filter? My truck the lift pump was dead im assuming when i bought it. It seemed to run fine.

When i changed the fuel filter i found out about the dead lift pump because it didnt prime the fuel housing and then the truck didnt run.

If there were no air pockets before you changed the filter it doesnt need the lift pump to run as the IP can pull fuel from the tank. It is very bad for the IP but it will still run. When you changed the fuel filter an air pocket caused the IP to lose prime and loose fuel supply.

Im guessing the lift pump has been dead or not had power for a while.

I have also herd of oil pressure switches on some trucks that switch the lift pump on when oil pressure is established because too much fuel pressure can cause a hard hot start. That could be why it looks like no power. Things dont just lose power without cause.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
checking the power with a test light. and yes, I have plenty of time. I have my brother turn the ignition to the on position, and nothing. then bump the starter, and nothing. it's my understanding you have a 5 second cycle in the on position, and a 20-25 second cycle after bump.

as for the after filter change....that does raise a valid point. but I swear to God I heard the LP when I bought the truck 3 months ago.... but then again, I could be wrong. because I didnt discover it until the same thing, couldnt get the housing to prime. with that being said, has the cummins ever used an oil pressure sending unit for that???

·
Registered
18 Posts
Stock lift pumps on these trucks are terrible, bad design, bad parts. Part store replacement lift pumps like the stocker are even worse... If you've got pwr to the lift pump after the key bump, you can measure fuel psi and volume. Should be at least 12 psi and flow 30-40oz in 30 seconds. If it tests faulty, get a Airdog or fass system. Don't drive it until you do. Any codes?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Also. some people wire the lift pump directly to the ignition, so it's always on whenever the key is on.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yes, I'm getting 2 codes. p0216 and p1689. but the truck doesnt feel like its lost any power to speak of. the power difference is at 2k+ it really just feels like the difference is the POS carter pump starving the IP. I got a raptor 150, autometer digital gauge, and BD diesel big banjo kit headed this way. the banjo kit comes with one tapped for the gauge sending unit. and my #1 issue is the LP not receiving power. If I cant find probable cause for it by the time my new goodies come in, I suppose I will have to wire it directly to the ignition. it's my understanding, the only difference would be the pump shutting off while the truck is cranking. and it's got 2 brandy new interstates, and HD alternator...so it should be fine

1 - 13 of 13 Posts