Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Sweatin to the oldies
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They will operate side to side, but will only click when I try to make them go up and down. I've tried heating them and then prying off the glass, but that didn't work.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Mine do the same thing, I just assumed it was because they are old and should be replaced

·
Sweatin to the oldies
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
OK guys, I fixed the problem. After I broke the glass out (sigh) I took it apart, and found the culprit. There was a little rubber boot that went over the screw that made the mirror actuate. It had dry rotted hard, and the screw wouldn't go back and forth through it anymore. After I cut the end of it off, it worked fine. lol So, now I have a set of good mirrors with the glass missing.

Does anybody know a good place to get a replacement glass?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm having the same problem, my mirrors do not adjust, instead they just click... both sides, all directions. How can I get to the dried out rubber boot without breaking the mirror??

·
Sweatin to the oldies
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK guys, here's my write-up. :D

First, take a can of Mtn. Dew and place it in the freezer.

Next, Assemble your tools on your tailgate. Don't bother even trying to save the glass unless you have more patience than I do. I cracked the first one trying to save the glass.
1. Hammer 2. Safety glasses!

After you've smacked it thoroughly, remove all the shards and clean off your tailgate.

Now, you'll need a large phillip's head screwdriver, and a ratchet, extension, and a 1/4 inch socket.

Remove the three small bolts holding the assembly the head - the ones in the holes around the center.

Once you get it out, you may then remove the screw in the middle - this holds the motor housing on the front.

Flip it back over.

Undo the 4 "latches" on the side of it, and you can then remove the top.

Set the 2 motors to the side, and remove the gears. (Left hand thread - turn clockwise to remove)

Now, remove the other half of the housing, and turn it over. You will see these two plastic boots that have dry-rotted. This causes the motor to hang-up and not move all the way. Take a knife and cut them off.

Reassemble!

Finally, go and drink your Mtn. Dew that is now slushy cold in celebration of your newly fixed mirrors. :sofa1:

And there you have it! Put some new glass in those suckers, and you're ready to roll.

Did I earn a tech exchange medal? :D

·
hydraulic lifter crew
12,770 Posts
wow. one of the bestest write ups ive
seen on here. :thumbsup:

next question is where can you get the
replacement glass ? .. and what kind
of adhesive do you think that is ?

going to find a set of junkyard mirrors
this wknd.

·
Sweatin to the oldies
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I honestly don't know... I've found a couple of places online for glass, but it's about $20 per side. I'd say just plain clear silicone caulking should work - that's what appears to be on it now.

·
hydraulic lifter crew
12,770 Posts
$20 per side isnt bad at all. it would be worth
it to have fully functional mirrors.

do you have a write up on how to remove the
mirrors ? thats great lighting on the pics..

·
Sweatin to the oldies
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I can make one if you like. It's fairly simple to do. Although, with the power mirrors, you have to loosen up some more things.

Here's what I can remember:

1. Loosen the star head screw on the bottom of the plastic cover at the bottom.
2. Pull the cover up, and loosen the two bolts attaching it to the door mount.
3. Pull of the door panel, and undo the end of the cord - it will be attached with some plastic... things.
4. Loosen the mirror mount from the door. There is a clip that holds the cord in place, which is attached with a bolt behind the mount. Thus, you need to loosen the mount far enough to access it.
5. Then you should be able to remove the rest of the mirror.

·
Registered
486 Posts
BTW
I really didn't want to tell you after you broke the mirrors and got 7+7 years bad luck, but you can remove the glass using a length of piano wire or fishing line with handles fashioned like a Garrote and draw it carefully behind the glass slicing through the pads of silicone.

You might also stop by a glass shop and have them removed.

This also works for removing the badges from your vehicle,

Good write up on the repair.

Jim

·
Sweatin to the oldies
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's a good idea... I always just used a sharp putty knife for badges.
As for my luck, suffice it to say it probably won't change much. :hehe:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts