Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys.
Hey, I'm new here, and having a spot of trouble.
I took my rig into have an oil leak fixed, and it was a nasty leak, behind the fuel filter, lines and pump.
Ok, all that had to be removed, and the gasket replaced, then the fuel lines, and stuff replaced/ hooked up.
I picked up the truck and drove it home- It seemed a bit sluggish, but I attributed that to having been driving a sporty little gas powered zippy car around while the truck was in the shop.
I parked the truck in the driveway, and a few hours later went out tried to start it.
Clouds. I mean horrific all your neighbors huge gasp-for-air come out shaking fist clouds of smoke roiled from the truck, and I didn't have any power.
The pedal would go down, the smoke would come out, but the RPMs staggered and fell off with more pedal- Like i was flooding the already flooded engine even more.
Ok, I let the rig come up to about a hundred fifty degrees, and managed to get it out on the road, and once it was motovating it seemed to respond better and stopped blowing a cloud. Still smoking, but at least responding somewhat.
I parked the rig and left it overnight.
Today, on the advice of the mechanic that had been working on the rig, i bled the filter and lines, but that didn't seem to help.
The truck still smokes, and I have no power.
I don't understand how the thing made it home, and then wouldn't run again.
So here is my uneducated theory.
I suspect that the fuel timing is out.
Can anyone else offer another idea why this would start smoking like that ?
Is there a boot, bolt, fuel rail , or god willin' some simple overlooked aspect
of the replacement process that is in someones experience level to tell me to go take a look at? Anybody? hello?
Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
614 Posts
Check fuel pressure first. It should hit 60 psi when the return line is blocked. If you took it to a less than reputible shop there could be something in the lines.

You will find with certain vehicles its better to be a wrench turner then take it to a shop.

Reactions: UMBRA

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.
I will pick up a pressure guage and check that- My tools are all packed from moving across country, but i could stand adding a pressure guage to my toolbox.
The truck is parked at a friends while we wait to move into an old house we got-the upside to all that is i will have a garage when the place is ours, the downside is, the attourneys are taking their sweet time closing on the house, (sniffle) so i don't have my garage to unpack my tools in. ( add rolling drums and sax for drama effect )
But i have my travel set of tools available in the rig packed just in case. I reckon in case is now. Thanks for the input, i best get down to the local parts store, i don't see no mac or snap on trucks rolling by out there.

·
Registered
19,128 Posts
I took my rig into have an oil leak fixed, and it was a nasty leak, behind the fuel filter, lines and pump.
Ok, all that had to be removed, and the gasket replaced, then the fuel lines, and stuff replaced/ hooked up.
So you had the pushrod cover (tappet) gasket replaced? That means the injector pump was removed. Sounds to me like the shop did a lousy job. Didn't clean the IP shaft completely before they installed the gear, and now the timing has slipped. Sounds like your "mechanic" needs some training.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, that's the gasket- it was a real leaker, and yep, the fuel injector pump was removed and replaced as part of the access. It took the shop three days to get it done.
What I think is that the timing set up was lost in the process, or as You say, slipped and wasn't reset properly.
The leak is better...now I need the rig to run again....
Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it.
I will get the timing reset and see if that is the answer. I believe it will be.
I wish i were rich, LOL. all this would be much easier, or at least more affordable.

·
Registered
19,128 Posts
Three days:shock: Even a novice could do it in two. (The adhesive for the gasket needs to cure overnight.) I'm betting that you could have bought all the tools and had a stack of money left over with what you paid the "mechanic".

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I went in to get a state inspection, a twenty nine dollar deal, and walked out about thirteen hundred down and a truck that doesn't go.
It started with the leaks, and just got worse as the days wore on.
I can't wait to get into my house, and my tools unpacked....You're right, it would have made a nice addition to my toolbox contents.

·
Registered
473 Posts
What color is the smoke? If it's black, check for a boost leak i.e.- a boot that didn't get hooked back up or reclamped.

·
Registered
214 Posts
The other thing you might have a peek at is the small 6 inch plastic line that goes from the intake to the AFC that sends the boost signal they have a habit of gettting pinched or broken...but i as well and leaning towards the timing deal...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Southtowns27, the smoke is white and heavy. Thanks .
12valve, i'll take a look at that line this a.m., thanks- I was hoping it would be something simple like that.....so i will be happy to look into it.....but i suspect the timing from all the feedback so far, and what i have read about the timing set being so touchy. There is an excellent reference for the setup here.... i should thank whoever posted that, but will have to go and look again to remind myself who that was....old age, You know, LOL. wait- that's not funny...Thanks Guys

·
Registered
473 Posts
White heavy smoke = slipped timing

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
another vote for slipped timing, sounds like it wasnt timed right to begin with (and either didnt clean the shaft/gear or didnt torque it ) and once you shut it down it spun the gear on the shaft a little more

1 - 13 of 13 Posts