Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I found the motor "esn" and the esn off of the ecm (1999) i found under the seat doesn't match the vin# and date. I was told earlier today that I might be able to reprogram the 98 ecm into an HO manual (2001) ecm, is that possible?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I found the motor "esn" and the esn off of the ecm (1999) i found under the seat doesn't match the vin# and date. I was told earlier today that I might be able to reprogram the 98 ecm into an HO manual (2001) ecm, is that possible?

·
Registered
21,486 Posts
They do not have to match VIN or ESN as they are not vin specific. They just have to be for the correct motor by year and PN. Maybe HO is different I am not sure.

May be possible if it were not having issues. If it has problems is still needs to be mechanically repaired first/same time. All esn does is give you the year. Will wondering what the PN's are on each ECM?

a 98.5 or 99 should be 3942336

an 01/02 should be 3946242 or maybe something else different from the 99.

I think the best rebuild/repair company is in Florida and does yours for $300, one third of just buying one with core trade in.

I think that is easier than finding somebody local with the computer to reprogram one, If it is good. and they would want just as much. Also you can sell the 98/99 one for upto $600 if it is working correctly.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Okay I am going to take it to the shop today and see what they say.

Automotive exterior Bumper Motor vehicle Font Gas
This is the ecm I found under the seat.

Tire Automotive tire Font Tints and shades Tread

This is the motor stamp.

·
Registered
21,486 Posts
Top right of pic is partly obscured ends in ...47412 is the PN. That one is for an 01/02. Maybe both SO and HO, maybe not, I do not know.

·
Registered
21,486 Posts
That should be teh correct PN for the 01/02 so long as it has not been reprogrammed differently. I would not try to reprogram a 99 to an 01. You could use as a core for return. I think the original went bad and they tried to run it on the 99 and it did not work as expected. Just find a replacement ....412, either used from running truck or a rebuilt from stock or sending your ...412 in.9(Latter being the cheapest way to go)

21 - 27 of 27 Posts