Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 dodge ram 2500 with the 6 speed manual. I've been experiencing a definite lack of power and rough idle. I went through everything today with a obdii. I have 4 codes being thrown: p0118(ect), p0336(ckp), p0341(cmp), and p0236(MAP too high too long). I have been trying to figure it all out the past couple months and haven't had any luck. It will still pull heavy loads and drive fine but the acceleration is not there. Does anyone have any ideas of what to maybe diagnose.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have read that some of my symptoms might be from a bad or blown turbo? I don't have a boost gauge yet, however I can here the turbo spooling up and can feel the boost kick in a little bit but it never seems to actually take off.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
First thing is to replace the ECT sensor. A faulty ECT sensor is known to cause problems like you are experiencing. Beyond that, there are so many other things to check.

PS- the exhaust smoke in your profile picture should not be light gray like that.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First thing is to replace the ECT sensor. A faulty ECT sensor is known to cause problems like you are experiencing. Beyond that, there are so many other things to check.

PS- the exhaust smoke in your profile picture should not be light gray like that.
I have replaced the ECT sensor and pigtail and nothing changed, on Wednesday I am going to do some more diagnostics in the shop and see if something is wrong somewhere in the harness.
The picture in my profile is in front of a wildfire that I was delivering water to, that's the smoke you see in the back.

·
Registered
21,458 Posts
341 Camshaft sensor conttols timing. It has no Crank sensor, uses the cam sensor instead. I would start with that and the wiring to it. Also if so many sensors are showing bad it can be the ECM.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
I have replaced the ECT sensor and pigtail and nothing changed, on Wednesday I am going to do some more diagnostics in the shop and see if something is wrong somewhere in the harness.
The picture in my profile is in front of a wildfire that I was delivering water to, that's the smoke you see in the back.
Let us know what you find. Very good on the wildfire smoke. Thank you for delivering water to that fire.

Reactions: Kyle2001

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Let us know what you find. Very good on the wildfire smoke. Thank you for delivering water to that fire.
I am going to go through more of the sensors in shop tomorrow, hopefully I can narrow down the issue. I'll keep you guys updated.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ECT is fixed, there was a split wire going to the ECM at the splice connection. However I still haven't been able to diagnose the issue with the rough idle and lack of power. It still throws the code for cam/crank sensor, today I went through all the wires and all the voltages from the wires and sensor checked out. Does this leave me to only assume I have a bad ECM? I am going to try to upload a few videos of the idle for any advice.

·
Registered
21,458 Posts
Post video if you can of tach.

·
Registered
21,458 Posts
These engines have lots of "knocks", even normally. Don;t know abouit that. I can tell you there is NO catalytic convertor on these trucks. A Muffler and resonator is all. So no answers there.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I did some more digging through the engine and found that the date on the ECM said 1/19/98, and updated in 99. However the motor is a HO 2001-2002, so I assumed that was the issue. I found what I'm assuming was the original ECM in the backseat under the seat, so I took the other out and put the one I found in. Immediately when I started it up there was a smooth idle and the tach worked. I drove it around a little and there was noticeable power gain, after about 5 minutes of driving the throttle started acting weird and wouldn't hold a normal RPM. Along with the weird throttle the ECT gauge also started going all over the place. Does this mean the ECM is wrong or broken, or does it possibly just need to be flashed or re-programed.

·
Registered
21,458 Posts
Probably the original ecm went bad and was replaced with the 98.5/99 ECM which is the wrong one.
When you put the original one back on from under the seat is has a heat cycle problem where it has bed connections inside after it warms up. Post the Cummins part numbers on each one and I can tell you for sure.

Small possibility doing an APPS reset to match the ECM to the Apps would work but not likely.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Probably the original ecm went bad and was replaced with the 98.5/99 ECM which is the wrong one.
When you put the original one back on from under the seat is has a heat cycle problem where it has bed connections inside after it warms up. Post the Cummins part numbers on each one and I can tell you for sure.

Small possibility doing an APPS reset to match the ECM to the Apps would work but not likely.
That's not what I was hoping to hear😅. I will take a look tomorrow for the block numbers and ecm number to let you know.

·
Registered
21,458 Posts
It does have the original engine does it not? If you do not know, does it have a crankshaft sensor on the block behind the starter?

·
Registered
21,458 Posts
When we figure out which on is correct, you can send if off for repair for about $300.

·
Registered
21,458 Posts
OK, get those ECM pn's tomorrow then. I do not now how much I will be on line tomorrow until evening, as I am going to the VA most of the day tomorrow. I will try to check around noon.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
OK, get those ECM pn's tomorrow then. I do not now how much I will be on line tomorrow until evening, as I am going to the VA most of the day tomorrow. I will try to check around noon.
I won't be able to start tearing it back apart until after 5pm, so that works fine.

·
Registered
21,458 Posts
If the sticker is on the front you can see it with a flashlight without removal.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts