Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I have a basically stock 2004.5 (Signature) with 150,300 miles on it, I just bought it three weeks ago. It has a 2004 Edge EZ module (3 settings, 1, 2 & 3) installed by the original owner. The instruction manual states that setting #1 (25HP/50TQ) is for heavy towing & fuel economy, #2 (45HP/77TQ) is for all-a-round driving, light towing & fuel economy, #3 (65HP/150TQ) is for engine performance enhancements which I have none with no plans to do so in the future.
The instructions say to leave it on power level #2 for daily driving, fuel economy, and to make it easier on your transmission, so that's where I have left it. My confusion is with the fuel economy difference between level #1 & #2. Would I gain more fuel economy in level #1 with daily driving and no towing or should just leave it on level #2?

Thanks!

Dennis

·
Trying to learn
5,646 Posts
Try it and find out. Simple as that.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Try it and find out. Simple as that.
TryNto,

Good point!
I was concerned with the statement "Making it easier on your transmission" staying in level #2. However, looking back in hindsight (and foresight), I am not dragging any loads at all. So, I will try level #1 and see what my fuel economy savings turn out to be, if any.

Thanks

Dennis

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I drove it for 90 miles and saw no difference milage wise between stage #1 and stage #2.

Dennis

2,581 Posts
So that ancient Edge EZ tuner is increasing fuel rail pressure. It plugs into the rail pressure sensor.
It intercepts/fools the signals between the rail sensor and the ECM.

Increasing rail pressure is terrible for your fuel injectors, especially on such an old truck.

I recommend to remove the outdated Edge EZ and sell it for a couple of bucks.
Technology has advanced since the days of interceptor modules/boxes/chips.
There are much better ways (and safer for your injectors) to increase power in these trucks.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Stealth!

I was wondering how good it actually is, I am a little skeptical. If it is going to shorten the life of my injectors then I will remove it. To remove would I just reverse the installation?

Dennis

·
Registered
12 Posts
As far as keeping or it it works.
I have 04.5, air filter and 4"cat back and edge ez.
I am original owner those 3 mods from 10k all the way to 196k ez worked great! Towing 32ft TH and daily driver!!! Setting 2 was best for highway miles, in town really doesn't matter. At 196k new Ats 3000 turbo to replace old tired stock. 198k remained tranny, EZ still works,234k new Bosch injectors. I unplug EZ from time to time just to check truck still works. IMO it is fine, but I am original owner and rake good care of truck, but also believe some newer electronics may be better. Your call.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just to follow up on this, I removed my Edge EZ two weeks ago. I initially did not notice any loss of power and thought the pressure box was not working at all when I drove it around town. However, when I took it on the freeway a couple of days later I did notice a bit of power loss in the mid-RPM range mainly during onramp acceleration but the loss was not great. I am fine with it, better peace of mind for my injectors for sure! The truck still has more power than I have ever had in a truck before!

Dennis

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sorry I did not catch this earlier...if you have an 04 edge and a 04.5 truck, that combines NOT right. You need a 04.5 edge! It will say 04.5ob the box. I still have my box, so call edge. They are very diff engines.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Motogp4,

Yep, went and took a closer look at the box again: "Edge 2004 EZO1000D / Serial #40014845 / Ver. 1.0 / Date of Mfg: 7/28/2004.
I am fine with removing it, feel better anyway. If I really get the need for better power I will probably be looking at a Smarty Touch or MM3 but no plans, for now, I am just really enjoying driving a Dodge truck with Cummins power! Quite a step up from driving 4.0 Ford Rangers!

Dennis

1 - 10 of 10 Posts