Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just ordered some Magnum running boards for my mega cab. Does anybody have experience (whether good, bad or indifferent) or an opinion about whether I should powder coat them for protection or use “Steel- it” ?

·
Registered
6,219 Posts
I'm not impressed with powder coat at all. I've seen it fail time after time. It's nice in the perfect world, not the real world.

Reactions: StealthDiesel

·
Registered
575 Posts
I personally think if you bought running boards, maybe you should have got one's made of either stainless steel, or aluminum, then less worries about rust ? too latre now I gather but what I woul;d have suggest before buying!

as steel even powder coated will end up rusting as rocks chip it away and or as it wears down!
another maybe more durable option would be having bed liner sprayed on of a GOOD brand and RUST free, as once they start to rust, coating them won't stop things
good bed liner will also possibly add some traction to tings as well pending what brand is being used!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I personally think if you bought running boards, maybe you should have got one's made of either stainless steel, or aluminum, then less worries about rust ? too latre now I gather but what I woul;d have suggest before buying!

as steel even powder coated will end up rusting as rocks chip it away and or as it wears down!
another maybe more durable option would be having bed liner sprayed on of a GOOD brand and RUST free, as once they start to rust, coating them won't stop things
good bed liner will also possibly add some traction to tings as well pending what brand is being used!
Although you didn’t really answer my question, thanks for the response.

The Magnum RT’s are not stainless (Or aluminum) but look bad ass.. I didn’t see any “good brands” that fit my personal preference so I’ll have to beef up what I have. Probably just going to sand blast them and use the Steel-it product after doing some reading and talking to a few people today.

Bed liner will look crappy in my opinion but thanks for the feedback!

Chris

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not impressed with powder coat at all. I've seen it fail time after time. It's nice in the perfect world, not the real world.
Thanks man! A couple other people said the same about powdercoating I spoke with today as well. Appreciate the feedback..

Chris

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
There is a lot of truth to that.

But much of the problem lies in the process, not in the product.

If Powder Coat is applied correctly, it is virtually indestructible under ideal circumstances. But it will sometimes chip and where it chips......... ??

When they invented it, they put it through some serious tests. The 'paint' itself is super tuff, but it will chip sometimes. And if it isn't applied just right, it will chip and flake even more.

Most wheels today are powder coated I think. Usually, about the only place they give it up is around the inflation valve.

I'm not familiar with steel-it. Sounds interesting.

·
Registered
575 Posts

If Powder Coat is applied correctly, it is virtually indestructible under ideal circumstances. But it will sometimes chip and where it chips......... ??

When they invented it, they put it through some serious tests. The 'paint' itself is super tuff, but it will chip sometimes. And if it isn't applied just right, it will chip and flake even more.

Most wheels today are powder coated I think. Usually, about the only place they give it up is around the inflation valve.

there is a difference in a wheel being powder coated and a running board that is going to get hit with rocks way more often at all sorts of speeds and then rocks CHIP away powder coating
even if powder coating is done right, it still will not stand up to rocks hitting it all the more so them that stay in tires till your going 75+ MPH and eject and hit things LOL
'
I also have zero experience with the Steel IT product, but I gather like most any thin coating, it also will; get damaged as rocks hit it
my stainless steel running boards/tubes have all sorts of deep marks from rocks hitting them

IMO< the only thing that will last would be a GOOD bed liner, like rhino liner or Line X(the two I have experience with) as they have some thicker coatings that will MAYBE take the hits better being both thicker and well some what rubber like, to slow things down on impacts and even bounce some light hits off!
they been proven to be super durable

I have played with several different types of coating over the yrs on off road race vehicles, as well as ATV's and MX bikes, and seen how they get damaged and wear (like Powder coating)
they all will suffer damages and then peal, flake and make rust under it once that damage area allows water and what not's to touch the bare metal again! which will then travel under the coating as it travels thru the metal itself!
Powder coating can last a while, NOT staying its going to fail FAST, and it can also be re done as needed too if one wanted and you can even add say a 3M like clear protective film to make it even more durable and keep the color you wish to have the coated too!

but as for most durable, Bed liner from a GOOD company will out last it IMO!

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
There are many different kinds of powder coat as well. I think when I had my wheels done it was epoxy based. The first time they did it they put it on to thick and it chipped very easily. They bead blasted the wheels and reapplied the correct way (much thinner) and it held up for over 10 years.

It really comes down to the person doing the powder coating knowing the application its going on choosing the right product and then applying it correctly. The person doing the work should know all the options available and how to do it correctly.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

thanks man!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts