Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a 3' wide x at least 1' deep pothole nearly destroy my truck and trailer going between Houston & Dallas on the I-45. Here is what is left of my rim on my trailer after I retrieved it off the side of the road. Sheered of a wheel stud in the process along with taking out 2 other tires.

·
Cummins Crazy
2,317 Posts
Kodiak,

That must have been one huge surprise.
The pothole situation is getting worse every year.
It almost doesn't matter which state you drive in.
You are having your share of luck lately---

Good Luck,
WAYNES WORLD

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Holy chit! that must've been quite a hole you went through

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Holy chit! that must've been quite a hole you went through

I jerked the wheel to the left to avoid it and caught the right rear outer rim. Probably would have destroyed my complete right side of truck & trailer had I not. Luckly it didn't do damage to my axle of suspension just $450 worth of rim & tires.

·
Rescue Tower
10,826 Posts
You should be able to submit that to the state and get reimbursed that cost. That is crazy. Imagine if a passenger car had hit that...

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I jerked the wheel to the left to avoid it and caught the right rear outer rim. Probably would have destroyed my complete right side of truck & trailer had I not. Luckly it didn't do damage to my axle of suspension just $450 worth of rim & tires.
So you wrecked one of the truck's rims too? and one on the trailer?

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So you wrecked one of the truck's rims too? and one on the trailer?
No. Just the right rear axle on the trailer.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
holy crap dude. i cant imagine if i woulda cought one of them in my peterbilt. the rims alone are $900 for the polished aluminum ones.

and that tire looks a bit worn for a new trailer?

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Now that is a Texas sized chuck-hole. Maybe they should put a cone on it :shock: Sorry about the bad luck.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
holy crap dude. i cant imagine if i woulda cought one of them in my peterbilt. the rims alone are $900 for the polished aluminum ones.

and that tire looks a bit worn for a new trailer?

Trailer is a 2005. Tire has some mileage on it. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
dads friend that owns a truck salvage yard and he said it is caused by cracked wheels

·
It's got 12 Valves...
5,032 Posts
Wow..that looks like it did some damage man. Glad it was only one trailer tire and nothing too major.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
dads friend that owns a truck salvage yard and he said it is caused by cracked wheels

Not sure how the rim could be cracked. It was a new rim. I have had cracks in the rims before but it is on the welded section. Usually it just caused leaks in the tire. That is why that rim was new because I had a weld crack last time. If this was caused by a cracked rim I am going to be pissed. I have replaced about 5 rims on this trailer.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
he said that the dracks happen by the lugnut holes. so they wont leak. i would get something to check all the rims for cracks

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Jesus. That is nuts. I have never seen anything like that. Everything is bigger in texas

·
Registered
397 Posts
Good ole 45, I drive it daily, its alot like an arcade game for adults!

·
Registered
136 Posts
35E into Dallas aint no better!! They're working on it though. Okie has some chitty roads too!

·
Registered
273 Posts
wow that sucks ! sorry to hear about that

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
that rim was ripped from the lugs. it could of been a brand freakin new rim and it would of done the same thing.

·
Premium Member
1,147 Posts
Good ole 45, I drive it daily, its alot like an arcade game for adults!
:ditto: I hate that stretch of 45 through Conroe. It doesn't matter which lane you choose or how you try to dodge them, it still beats the crap out of you. :buttkick: I cant wait for the construction to be over.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts