Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Rear Admiral Rickard Onmi
2018 Ram 3500 CCLBSRW
10,918 Posts
$70k on a truck that has a potentially sketchy past? Why? At that price you can get something good, it's not some super deal. IMO

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
At what point was anything identified as sketchy? Also keep in mind this is a truck that was imported to Finland, no longer in the North American market, which therefore means costs go through the roof. Besides, it's not $70k, its $82k in USD

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
At what point was anything identified as sketchy? Also keep in mind this is a truck that was imported to Finland, no longer in the North American market, which therefore means costs go through the roof. Besides, it's not $70k, its $82k in USD
Trucks are here more expensive. There is custom fees for US products. But, there is 24% sales tax in price, that you can deduct when you buy it to company. And most trucks here are 1500 models, not too many good HD trucks with Cummins.

3,500 Posts
Thanks for comments. I think I will drive to see truck at weekend. 200 miles / 320 kilometres from here. If you look at key, it looks very worn. It can be seen in the cupholder. Maybe normal. Also drivers seat looks bit worn at those kilometres. Of course it have been kind of work truck, that might explain those things.

I did not realize that you were already in Europe only 320KM/200 miles from the truck.

Going to see the truck in person with a checklist will answer the majority of the questions and reduce the risk greatly.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I did not realize that you were already in Europe only 320KM/200 miles from the truck.

Going to see the truck in person with a checklist will answer the majority of the questions and reduce the risk greatly.
Neither did I. That's a day trip and worth investigating and getting questions answered. Europeans have different body language but you may be able to tell if it's a good honest dude... I mean bloke... Or a shady slimeball.

When you buy a Rolex you are buying the seller as much as the watch because someone who's honest with a good reputation is likely selling you a real watch and not a counterfeit. Similar with an expensive truck...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 ram 2500 tradesman 4x4 g56 ext cab
6 Posts
The ministry of transport in Ontario and its equivalent in Quebec do NOT record odometer readings for commercial vehicles at renewal. They do for only passenger vehicles. Example my company CAR they ask every tag renewal for the odometer. My Cummins, registered commercial, they never ask odometer. Yes, my car must be registered as a personal vehicle even though it is owned by a corporation and my Cummins MUST be registered as commercial even though I am just a private citizen due to weight. Go figure.

It is not at ALL fishy that the carfax does not list mileage readings because they simply do not collect that data.
Finland? Perhaps an oil worker big wig got to bring his truck with him. I doubt it would make any sense to bring it back to Canada. There aren’t oil rigs in Quebec but there are refineries and natural gas infrastructure for sure.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Finland? Perhaps an oil worker big wig got to bring his truck with him. I doubt it would make any sense to bring it back to Canada. There aren’t oil rigs in Quebec but there are refineries and natural gas infrastructure for sure.
The selling dealer bought the truck from Canada. It is not in use at the moment.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Truck went to 3rd party inspection, and it was all OK. Odometer was correct in different modules, and seems that all the modules are original. So I decided to buy it... now I'm looking for updates. LED lights would be great. Any recommendations for LED headlights? At this time, I am not going to delete, but interested in mods that make truck better, like lights.

·
2018 Ram 3500 CCLBSRW
10,918 Posts
Best suggestion for LED headlights, is don't If you want to upgrade the lights put HIDs in the stock housings, that would be the cheapest way to improve lights. The replacement LED housings that are out there are expensive and sub par in terms of usable light output compared to HID. If you want the best set up, and since you travel back and forth, drop off your housings before you leave with someone to retrofit them with aftermarket projectors and pick them up when you get back and reinstall, that would give you the best light output Or buy a set of retrofitted units in either US or Canada, and then bring them over there on your next trip back and swap them out. I can't imagine they are very common over there to find already complete. LED lights continue to be "maybe just one more year" away from truly competing with HID units, but they haven't gotten there yet. We will need dedicated housings for the LEDs to truly work better, and none of the current ones on the market have gotten anywhere near the level of light you get from an OEM unit

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Best suggestion for LED headlights, is don't If you want to upgrade the lights put HIDs in the stock housings, that would be the cheapest way to improve lights. The replacement LED housings that are out there are expensive and sub par in terms of usable light output compared to HID. LED lights continue to be "maybe just one more year" away from truly competing with HID units, but they haven't gotten there yet. We will need dedicated housings for the LEDs to truly work better, and none of the current ones on the market have gotten anywhere near the level of light you get from an OEM unit
So, for example these Morimoto or Alpharex are not much or any better than HIDs in the stock housings? I think I have stock headlights with projectors. Those LED sets are of course very expensive and I want to make right choice and not waste too much money... But headlights are important, it is 6 months just dark up north in Fin...

·
2018 Ram 3500 CCLBSRW
10,918 Posts
So, for example these Morimoto or Alpharex are not much or any better than HIDs in the stock housings? I think I have stock headlights with projectors. Those LED sets are of course very expensive and I want to make right choice and not waste too much money... But headlights are important, it is 6 months just dark up north in Fin...
They are worse the stock projectors with HIDs They do look cool, but they are all looks. Both companies also have had significant problems with alignment of the light not being straight. If you want just better then stock, get AlfaOBD, (to program the BCM to accept HIDs) and swap in some HID bulbs into the stock housing. If you want better then stock, get some stock projectors retrofitted with aftermarket projectors and put in HIDs. If you want LED, be like me and keep waiting for some to surface that are actually worth the wait. I'm currently running HIDs in my stock housings, and am pretty happy with them. I've watched many others pay for those expensive housings only to be disappointed in them, plus Morimoto has a horrible return policy that makes you pay a restocking fee if you aren't happy with them. Hard pass on those options. The Alpharex units do throw out a lot of light, but it's just that, throwing out a lot of light. They don't throw it as far as an HID set up, or as well as a projector set up. They just aren't to the point yet of offering good LED replacements. But they are improving, i keep hoping maybe next year something good will come up....

·
2018 Ram 3500 CCLBSRW
10,918 Posts
Honestly part of me wants to find a wrecked set of LED headlights from a 5th gen and see how hard it would be to transplant the factory LED housings inside of a 4th gen housing and make 4th gen units with 5th gen LED OEM headlights.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Honestly part of me wants to find a wrecked set of LED headlights from a 5th gen and see how hard it would be to transplant the factory LED housings inside of a 4th gen housing and make 4th gen units with 5th gen LED OEM headlights.
OK - thanks for comments. Maybe it is better to wait little bit and meanwhile try HIDs..

21 - 32 of 32 Posts