Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I am looking to buy a RAM 2500 VIN 3C6UR5FL1JG105219. Registered as Commercial vehicle in Quebec November 2017, and it is exported to Europe 3 years later. Now it is listed and seller states 69000 kilometres. Please see attached Carfax report. No single odometer reading in the report, no services. Seller says it is super nice etc. Computer says 1270 hours. Means average speed 55 km/h. Would you believe those numbers without any evidence about odometer etc?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Rear Admiral Rickard Onmi
2018 Ram 3500 CCLBSRW
10,863 Posts
Most European reporting institutions don't work well with the North American ones

I don't see any useful information or dates on that carfax, also that carfax is dated 2020, and is also in french, which really made it hard for me to read much of it. Thankfully french is a pretty simple language so it's not hard to put two and two together when reading it.

If it's the same owner, why was it exported to Europe and brought back? If the maintenance was done in house it won't pop up on carfax, ask to see their records on the truck Really, it will be your job to interrogate the owner to get as much information as possible about the truck, being a commercial truck, if the truck was in a large fleet, you probably won't be able to gain much information beyond records of the truck. If its a small company, the seller might have knowledge on the vehicle. But really that's the name of the game for any purchase

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it's the same owner, why was it exported to Europe and brought back?
Sorry, it is listed in Europe. Not brought back. I live in 2 continents and looking for truck also in Europe.. And the 2020 date is when truck is sold to Europe.

·
2018 Ram 3500 CCLBSRW
10,863 Posts
So the current owner has only had the truck for a year? Why are they selling it, if they imported it, then there was a lot of bills associated with that to get it to european spec, i don't know why someone would spend that kind of money on a vehicle and then ditch it a year later without a reason?

At the end of the day my advise hasn't changed, ask for records, and talk to the owner, try and get the full story out of them and get a good judgement on the vehicle. Might not hurt to have the vehicle professionally inspected, especially if you aren't there to look at it before hand in person.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So the current owner has only had the truck for a year? Why are they selling it, if they imported it, then there was a lot of bills associated with that to get it to european spec, i don't know why someone would spend that kind of money on a vehicle and then ditch it a year later without a reason?

At the end of the day my advise hasn't changed, ask for records, and talk to the owner, try and get the full story out of them and get a good judgement on the vehicle. Might not hurt to have the vehicle professionally inspected, especially if you aren't there to look at it before hand in person.
Current owner is dealer. Most likely it took like 3-4 months to transport the truck here, and its been on the market like 6-7 months. Yes it has to be inspected professionally, but it can be difficult to say if the odometer is correct and if its serviced etc. In pictures it looks great.

·
2018 Ram 3500 CCLBSRW
10,863 Posts
When inspected the mechanic should be able to read the odometer on the computer and see if it matches the odometer on the dash. There are multiple locations where the odometer reading is stored within the computer, the only one that can be changed is the one on the dash, so if it matches in the ECM, then the mileage would be accurate.

·
2018 Ram 3500 CCLBSRW
10,863 Posts
And honestly it's only "easy" to change the odometer if you really know what you are doing, which also means 99% of people won't know how to do it, but i know when a vehicle is imported into the US there are multiple checks of the odoemeter reading, both on the vehicle and in the computers, if it's for sale at a reputable dealer, i would bet it's relatively accurate

3,497 Posts
That CarFax is likely doctored up. Did you get it from the selling Dealer?

I recommend to confirm the VIN on the truck and then run a new CarFax and the European equivalent on it.
It will cost you a couple of dollars but there are tons of red flags with that truck already.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I recommend to confirm the VIN on the truck and then run a new CarFax and the European equivalent on it.
It will cost you a couple of dollars but there are tons of red flags with that truck already.
Carfax Canada is asking 41 dollars for single report, is it really that expensive? Yes I got it from selling dealer.

·
2018 Ram 3500 CCLBSRW
10,863 Posts

What red flags do you see on it?

·
2018 Ram 3500 CCLBSRW
10,863 Posts
Carfax Canada is asking 41 dollars for single report, is it really that expensive? Yes I got it from selling dealer.
Do you have a link to the dealer's website that is selling the vehicle?

3,497 Posts
I just checked, that is the current Carfax Canada rate in Canadian dollars.

In your case with this sketchy truck with the sketchy Carfax provided by the seller, totally worth it.
The European "Carfax" will likely be more expensive. Still totally worth it.

That Carfax report provided by the seller is questionable. It calls the dealer into question and the history of the truck into question.
Plus the truck is in Europe and you have not personally inspected it.

As was mentioned, confirm the VIN number on the truck and the ECM mileage on the truck as Loki mentioned plus all the other used vehicle checks.
Accident damage, flood damage, hail damage, etc. etc.. etc..

Not to be rude, but a certain province in Canada has a long history of stolen vehicles with doctored VIN tags.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just checked, that is the current Carfax Canada rate in Canadian dollars.

In your case with this sketchy truck with the sketchy Carfax provided by the seller, totally worth it.
The European "Carfax" will likely be more expensive. Still totally worth it.

That Carfax report provided by the seller is questionable. It calls the dealer into question and the history of the truck into question.
Plus the truck is in Europe and you have not personally inspected it.

As was mentioned, confirm the VIN number on the truck and the ECM mileage on the truck as Loki mentioned plus all the other used vehicle checks.
Accident damage, flood damage, hail damage, etc. etc.. etc..

Not to be rude, but a certain province in Canada has a long history of stolen vehicles with doctored VIN tags.
I bought new report. Now there is one more row - odometer reading from the Canadian dealer, who, I think, sold truck to Europe.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
What red flags do you see on it?
I'm curious as well. It has more information than other Carfax's I've seen from Canada

3,497 Posts
So the new Carfax report is a little better.
I've never seen a Carfax Canada report with only 1 odometer reading on it though.
That may be nothing but it is unusual from my experience.

No underhood pics on the selling dealers website. Who inspected the truck for you?
Did that person provide a picture of the engine and exhaust system?

You need to confirm the status of the truck's emission's system plus all the other things that were mentioned previously.

Call me negative but when I'm buying an expensive used vehicle, I question everything.
I don't believe a word the seller says and I confirm everything on my own.
Ignore everything the seller promises unless it is clearly in writing.

·
2018 Ram 3500 CCLBSRW
10,863 Posts
Call me negative but when I'm buying an expensive used vehicle, I question everything.
I don't believe a word the seller says and I confirm everything on my own.
Ignore everything the seller promises unless it is clearly in writing.
Agreed

That's why it could be beneficial to have a 3rd party mechanic of your choosing look over the vehicle, the selling dealership should have no problems with that at all, if they do, walk right then and there.

·
2018 Ram 3500 CCLBSRW
10,863 Posts
I don't find the lack of odometer readings suspect at all, the only things being reported are renewals, not sales or work done, thus no reason to report odometer. The last odometer reading is likely from the selling dealer when it was exported out of Canada.

I also doubt it's been deleted, being a fresh export, when imported it would be thoroughly inspected to meet the new country's requirements for emissions, which Europe is generally even stricter then the US on if memory serves me. Only 42k miles on it (for those of us that don't use the metric system) so it's not really high miles or anything. My 18 has more miles then that and i bough it in the end of 2019. However, 3 year service life in a commercial setting seems really low. But being a 2500, i could imagine someone bought it, and the truck didn't get used as much as expected due to realizing a 3500 could be a better fit, so after 3 years they traded it out.

I imagine the recalls would have been addressed when importing the vehicle to Finland, and honestly it looks pretty nice for a commercial vehicle, so likely a higher up's truck, which could also explain why they only had it for 3 years, big guy wanted a new truck. I don't see any signs of mods really, and being a commercial truck that would make sense, they are more heavily inspected, at least here in the US, idk about Canada. Stock tail pipe, no holes in dash, nothing jumps out to me as modified beyond the aftermarket rims and tires, although i don't think the Laramie's got that grill? Pretty sure that's a limited grill with SAP or the black out package, but that it could've been the original grill i suppose. Possible suspension mods, looks like the front end was levelled. You will want that inspected to see if they used pucks or springs, and whose parts they used. Track bar should've been upgraded as well with various other possible front end changes. Ask the dealer to take a lot of pictures around the front end under the truck as well as the engine bay, and might as well ask for full under carriage pics showing the exhuast and frame as well as rear suspension. Part of me thinks the rear is sitting a little taller then stock as well, so it could have a level with 1" blocks in the rear as well.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I don't find the lack of odometer readings suspect at all, the only things being reported are renewals, not sales or work done, thus no reason to report odometer. The last odometer reading is likely from the selling dealer when it was exported out of Canada.

I also doubt it's been deleted, being a fresh export, when imported it would be thoroughly inspected to meet the new country's requirements for emissions, which Europe is generally even stricter then the US on if memory serves me. Only 42k miles on it (for those of us that don't use the metric system) so it's not really high miles or anything. My 18 has more miles then that and i bough it in the end of 2019. However, 3 year service life in a commercial setting seems really low. But being a 2500, i could imagine someone bought it, and the truck didn't get used as much as expected due to realizing a 3500 could be a better fit, so after 3 years they traded it out.

I imagine the recalls would have been addressed when importing the vehicle to Finland, and honestly it looks pretty nice for a commercial vehicle, so likely a higher up's truck, which could also explain why they only had it for 3 years, big guy wanted a new truck. I don't see any signs of mods really, and being a commercial truck that would make sense, they are more heavily inspected, at least here in the US, idk about Canada. Stock tail pipe, no holes in dash, nothing jumps out to me as modified beyond the aftermarket rims and tires, although i don't think the Laramie's got that grill? Pretty sure that's a limited grill with SAP or the black out package, but that it could've been the original grill i suppose. Possible suspension mods, looks like the front end was levelled. You will want that inspected to see if they used pucks or springs, and whose parts they used. Track bar should've been upgraded as well with various other possible front end changes. Ask the dealer to take a lot of pictures around the front end under the truck as well as the engine bay, and might as well ask for full under carriage pics showing the exhuast and frame as well as rear suspension. Part of me thinks the rear is sitting a little taller then stock as well, so it could have a level with 1" blocks in the rear as well.
Thanks for comments. I think I will drive to see truck at weekend. 200 miles / 320 kilometres from here. If you look at key, it looks very worn. It can be seen in the cupholder. Maybe normal. Also drivers seat looks bit worn at those kilometres. Of course it have been kind of work truck, that might explain those things.

·
Registered
206 Posts
$70k on a truck that has a potentially sketchy past? Why? At that price you can get something good, it's not some super deal. IMO

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 32 Posts