Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking at an 05 Cummins. Current owner claims the truck hazes black smoke while normal driving. He had it tuned by hardway performance and he said they never sent updated tunes after he sent datalogs. Does this sound like it could be the cause?

The truck apparently has
50% over injectors
10mm cp3
Air dog 150
Borgwarner 364sxe turbo
Hamilton cam and valve train

·
Renaissance Redneck BCVP
3,929 Posts
Black smoke is just a sign of over fueling, so given the mods done, any of them could cause the mixture to be rich. If Hardway is good to deal with maybe they will update it for you? I’d call them and give them the same info you gave us. They will definitely have more insight than random internet nerds.

Reactions: 01superb

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I most certainly will do that. Unfortunately they’re closed on the weekend so I can’t which is why I was trying to see what “the internet nerd” consensus was lol

·
Renaissance Redneck BCVP
3,929 Posts
Return it to stock and see what it does.
Seriously?? Do you have any idea what you’re saying? Look at the list of modifications. That’s not something you “return to stock and see what it does”. I’m sure you mean well, but that isn’t even an option as the OP doesn’t even own the truck yet.

Reactions: tryNto

·
Registered
945 Posts
Ccarfuul theere buud ooorrrr you might gooo ooover the roooaaaddd therrrree bud better watch out eh.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
When buying a truck with turbo, tuner, cam, and injector mods like that you need to make sure it hasn’t had the piss beat out of it by some flatbiller kid trying to roach the tires at every turn. There are dudes that can tear up an anvil with a feather.

Hazing all the time could be from poor tuning, mismatched turbo, mismatched cam or more nefarious things like crappy quality or damaged injectors slobbering, melted pistons, cracked rings etc. 188/220 duration cams and up can be a lot harder to run clean in casual driving around in town.

·
Premium Member
6,063 Posts
adjust price accordingly worse case - $3-4k for possible bad injectors.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts