Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Potential first time diesel owner, couple questions

2K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  Blanket 
#1 ·
Hey there, not sure if this is the right place to ask this but I'm thinking about trading in my half ton gas job for a '16 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7 Cummins, never having owned a diesel before just had a few questions.

Some info about the truck
73,000km (45,000 miles)
1500 Hours (500 Idle, 1000 driving) roughly
VIN: 3C6UR5FL9GG286563
Selling Price: $52,000 CAD ($39,000 USD)

The big one being, what should I look for that could be signs of a problem that they're trying to hide (I'm buying off a lot)
Also, if I plan to tune/delete it, should I bother purchasing a warranty? Or do they care
Is this a good price, it seems lower than most others around my area

See less See more
#2 ·
Hey there, not sure if this is the right place to ask this but I'm thinking about trading in my half ton gas job for a '16 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7 Cummins, never having owned a diesel before just had a few questions.

Some info about the truck
73,000km (45,000 miles)
1500 Hours (500 Idle, 1000 driving) roughly
VIN: 3C6UR5FL9GG286563
Selling Price: $52,000 CAD ($39,000 USD)

The big one being, what should I look for that could be signs of a problem that they're trying to hide (I'm buying off a lot)
Also, if I plan to tune/delete it, should I bother purchasing a warranty? Or do they care
Is this a good price, it seems lower than most others around my area

View attachment 909111 View attachment 909112
Nice looking truck. Don't let these guys scare you about the idle time. If you are going to delete, don't bother with any warranty.

#4 ·
Thanks!

1/3rd of its hours idling is not good for it.

Most any warranty will be voided if you delete so why spend the money on it and then throw it away?

Of course, you could just drive it all stock and not delete it...
Thanks for the info! I live in Canada and it can get pretty cold here -40 and below is not uncommon during the winter, so could that potentially lead to higher than typical Idle time? There doesn't seem to be any signs that it was an oilfield truck which is something I would avoid like the plague.

#3 ·
1/3rd of its hours idling is not good for it.

Most any warranty will be voided if you delete so why spend the money on it and then throw it away?

Of course, you could just drive it all stock and not delete it...

#5 ·
You don't have to be "scared" of the idle time, but inquiring about it may give you more of an idea of the history it's had so far. That is higher than average on idle hours. I believe in a perfect world, it should be around 10% of the run hours, whether that affects anything in the future, is impossible to foretell. Example - mine has 148k miles, 293 Idle Hours and 3515 Drive Hours.

Price seems decent, but don't know considering your area. Make sure of history with all recalls done. I would imagine the dealer can provide that to you. Ask for them to provide a Carfax report as well. If you are going to delete, wouldn't bother with expense of adding warranty. They may make it difficult on you with a claim depending on what it is. YRMV.

#8 ·
Got the Car Fax from the dealer site, looks like it was serviced every 5000km approx, no accidents or damage claims.
Doesn't have any recalls listed though so I'll make sure to ask about that when I go see them on Tuesday

I was planning on taking it for another test drive before I sign anything, is there anything under the hood I should look out for that could be a red flag that something isn't right?

#7 ·
I think idle time was much more of a concern back when diesels would routinely 'wet stack' at low RPMs

I'm not sure that's much of a problem anymore; but I only know what I read and what others tell me.
Idle time concern for current trucks is loading the DPF with soot and excess fuel as well as the SCR cat, and fuel dilution of the oil.
Idle time issues can be reduced by always using high idle for any extended idling, but it's still harder on components.

#10 ·
Cannot comment on used price but personally I'm not to worried about idle time as long as it was serviced properly.

Never say never, never say always. These new SCR equipped trucks fare out well up here. I'm in west central sask. My truck has seen the cold and used regularly in the winter, both towing and daily driving.

Only once did I get the DEF countdown that cleared itself. Otherwise the emissions systems have run fine. It starts fine at any temp. I have started it a few times unaided down to the -30c mark and it fired up just fine off one cycle of the grid heater. I normally use the block heater below -15c. With the block heater it has started fine at -40 ambient. Mind you, everything hates life at that temp.

Use the winter front with the flaps closed and exhaust brake with high idle and she warms up fine. No issues.

It looks to nice to be a patch truck. Biggest giveaway is no lift, no monster energy decal on the back window and no signs of meth use in the interior.

It's a nice rig!

#12 · (Edited)
The idle/runtime is similar to mine - just the way it goes with -40 winters. Price is good, we were looking at two year old trucks when we bought this one and they were in the 60-ish price range. Any accidents? Front bumper looks slightly tweaked, but that apparently isn’t hard just by using the tow hooks.

#13 ·
The idle/runtime is similar to mine - just the way it goes with -40 winters. Price is good, we were looking at two year trucks when we bought this one and they were in the 60-ish price range. Any accidents? Front bumper looks slightly tweaked, but that apparently isn’t hard just by using the tow hooks.
No reported accidents or claims on the carfax, and service looks regularly done every 5000km
I did notice some slight damage to the front end, nothing that couldn't be covered up from what I seen, small amount of rust near the driver side headlight but nothing major.
On tuesday I plan to take it for another drive before I decide on anything so I'll go through everything with a fine tooth comb and then get them to detail it before I take it home

#17 ·
Upon closer look it looks like it was in a minor fender bender. Scuff on bumper (and pushing it in a bit) and dinged the driver fender above the headlight also causing the rust. Factor that in with your purchase.

Reactions: BrianF
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.