Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting very inconsistent power. The truck is seeming to be losing power some days and in it on others. I am also blowing a good bit of black smoke. Looks like its chipped but its not. Checked air filtre and fuel filter and they are good. I think its an air problem not a fuel problem. Is there a waste gate solinoid or anything? Or is my turbo on the way out maybe? Fuel mileage is also all over the place.

·
2,247 Posts
You can check to make sure all the sleeves on the intake and discharge ducts and the intercooler are on and tight. Also, pull the intake off and check for play in the impellar shaft of the turbo. Any noise coming from the turbo that doesn't sound normal?

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think its any more noisy. If anything its too quiet.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well all the boots are tight and I don't see anything obvious. The thing that is bugging me is its not consistent. One day it will run like a scared dog the next it won't get out of its own way. I hope the turbo isn't about to go. My f350 started acting like this right before I blew the seals in the turbo. If this one goes I will have 2 trucks with blown turbos and no money to fix them.

·
Registered
674 Posts
the wastegate on that turbo is electronicaly controlled that may be the problem

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How do I check those two things? No codes in the computer right now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts