Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an idea that my turbo may possibly be on its way out. last oil change i did, i had the intake hose off and spun the turbo by hand it it seemed a little tight for some reason in some spots. then just for fun, started it up and then shut it off, and by the time i got to the front of the truck the turbo had stopped spinning. is this normal? and also, i'm not sure, but its seems to blow a little more smoke, but i'm still making over 30#'s boost. So question 1, should the turbo spin super easy by hand? and 2. how long should it stay spinning once the truck is turned off. thanks in advance

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
Here is the proper inspection of the turbo...

Turbo Inspection

So question 1, should the turbo spin super easy by hand?
Should spin freely...

2. how long should it stay spinning once the truck is turned off. thanks in advance
Normally I can walk to the passenger side and to the tail pipe and its still spining but coming to a stop.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thanks. well that sounds like i'm in for a turbo soon. But another thing. when i fired the truck up and after it had fresh oil in the turbo again, it span free-er. so i'm stumped. oh and i change my oil every 5000 kilometers.

·
Registered
29 Posts
sounds like the journal bearings are done for...your turbo should spin for a good 15 seconds after you shut down a warm truck and should spin by hand nicely with out sticky spots... yea you are still creating boost...but with are very in-efficient, half way in the grave turbo

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
if that happens to be the problem, journal bearings, whats goin to happen if they decide to blow up. will i get stuff flying into the engine? or it will just be getting more and more inefficient?

·
Registered
365 Posts
drive by BD diesel in abbotsford mccallum road exit. ask for the turbo department, you can talk with george or bruce and they will let you know how bad the turbo is.

·
Registered
29 Posts
drive by BD diesel in abbotsford mccallum road exit. ask for the turbo department, you can talk with george or bruce and they will let you know how bad the turbo is.
I AGREE
I dont know where Delta, CA is but I think if it is close to abbotsford I would go to BD. and if you seize up your turbo you could, in theory, do some damage.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ya abbotsford is like an hour away, piers diesel is closer too, so i'm sure people would agree that both of these are reputable services

·
Registered
29 Posts
yea I would go to PDR or BD and let them take a look...My UPS guy just showed up with my MAY X-MAS present

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
aww man, my birthday was last month:( too late to put a turbo on the wish list :) oh well. ya i went out and checked, warm engine, shut the truck off and the turbo spun for 12 seconds. then i was hard to spin by hand then then got easier and then spun freely. and with the intake tube on, i could feel feel the turbo spinning. is that normal? like just a little rumble. and theres of touch of oil on the intake side. i really don't wanna put a new turbo on this thing. oh, and i saw 10 lbs. of boost when i revved it up in neutral. that seems about right doesn't it? thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
yea the turbo sounds like it is done for....is there alot of play in the shaft

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No theres hardly ANY play in the shaft. like a tiny bit up and down. well, i guess i'll be on the hunt for a new one:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts