Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 12valve 241k on the odometer.

This truck is still new to me, i purchased it to tow my 24ft enclosed to the track to run laps in my old rwd toyota. I just got home sunday after a 65 mile tow trailer weighs 7-8k lbs and i was being a dick and keeping up with traffic 60-65mph up and down hills.

I get home so see some spots of oil on the driveway and street.

I just changed my oil 150miles ago and am wondering if i poored in a quart extra. having some extra motor oil, could this cause a leak under high load? (towing up hill)

I still have to confirm tappet of leaking but the oil pan looks clean, i see some oilage near the fuel system and all over the front pumpkin. is there anything else guys recommend i look into?

thanks for any help

heres a short video of the race car!

·
Premium Member
16,224 Posts
I've been running 12 quarts of oil in both my trucks for over half a million miles and they haven't leaked yet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just change the fuel filter at the time of oil change so at first i thought it was a diesel leak. But the filter housing is clean and dry. I am pretty sure the truck had a very minor oil leak on this driver side of the engine when i bought it. kinda thought it was the vac pump, but that was a hunch w/o looking under the hood. now top of the front pumpkin is getting a little wetter.

Anyone fix the tappet, (engine block side cover) leak with nice layer of RTV?

·
Registered
559 Posts
Oil will run down ontop of the 3 rd with a vac seal leak

·
Registered
559 Posts
yes 3rd member and yes vac pump is on the drivers side.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts