Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some background... I bought the truck in May 2017 with a relatively recently rebuilt trans and motor. The motor was professionally rebuilt & head studded May 2015 at 188k miles. The transmission was professionally rebuilt November 2016 at 204k miles, they upgraded to a BD Diesel Valve body & Transtar Industries, Inc. CR70X-S2 torque converter. The front pump started leaking in July 2017 at 213k miles when I was test towing our camper the first time. The place that did the transmission honored the warranty. After that it was relatively problem free (save for the problematic water pump I replaced). I obviously don't drive the truck a lot. I mostly drove it on weekends, and when needed to haul something, pull the camper, boat, etc.

Now for the current dilemma; It was the best of times, it was the worst of times... I was super excited to get my new wheels and tires (Dropstars 655BM 22x12, -44 Offset, 4.77" backspacing and Atturo Trail Blade XT 305/45R22 118H (32.9x12R22)). I told the delivery driver I'd meet him at a local shopping center to save him from having to navigate my neighborhood and road construction. My wife went with me and I let my truck idle while we waited on the delivery truck and while we loaded the tires. Before I got back in to leave I noticed about a 6 inch puddle of oil under the truck. This was last September and I've been working so much and had so much going on with the kids and everything I haven't had time to look into it. I'd start the truck once in a while to charge the batteries and drive it a little around the neighborhood.

Today I got under the truck and degreased the front of the transmission, rear of oil pan, removed the inspection cover, and wiped down the inside of the transmission. I was hoping it was the oil pan and checked the rear bolts, which actually did turn in a little more, maybe a quarter of turn or so but not much. I let the truck idle, hoping for no oil, but after a minute noticed oil starting to run down the inside front of the transmission (see orange circled part of last pic below, notice you can see the oil coming down in front of the torque converter / ring gear). Being that it's coming down the inside of the transmission, does that lead to it most likely being the rear main?

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Grey Wood
Automotive tire Idiophone Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Bumper
Automotive tire Automotive exterior Rim Motor vehicle Automotive wheel system
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
Rear main is a possibility along with the cam O ring and the back of the valve cover.

Also, you're better off just letting your pickup sit then putting around the neighborhood every now and then.

Reactions: Jaysz28

·
Registered
2006 2500 4x4, spinny wooshy thing, bigger sticks, toothpick trans, wallet weight reduction mod.
2,439 Posts
I dunno man. Sitting about killed mine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts